SquirrelFocus Starting!

SquirrelFocus

Hello, my name is Karen and I'm finally ready to turn some bad habits off and turn on a few new good habits!

A few bad habits I'd like to kick:

1. Eating out of boredom. Afternoon and evening are difficult. Yes, I've eaten a 5lb bag of carrots in a day (with no dip or dressing)
  2. Sugar eating in airports and potato chips on airplanes. I fly every week with my job and sugary treats (darn you, swedish fish and Co-Cola!) are easy to find and binge (there are no single size bags for sale in the airport)
  3. Soda in the afternoon. Again, with the sugar and readily available in the commissary or break room
  4. Cookies with my coffee, you know, instead of eggs

A few new habits:

1. Drinking more water
  2. Eat when I'm hungry, not when I'm bored
  3. Drink when I'm thirsty, instead of eating something

Wish me will-power, cuz luck isn't going to change these habits!

So far, so good. I'm tired. Today was day 3 and I'm pretty cranky. I've had to do food planning for this type of reset before, so making sure food in the house is compliant is OK. Struggled with brekkie this am - eggs and bone broth are not enough to keep me full. 

How are you doing? Be sure to get enough to eat!

my nsv was that my kids are still alive!! they are 8 and 10 and at each other's throats. I had very little patience. I thought I had prepared better, but skimped on what I planned for meals. I ended up snacking, but stayed within the compliant foods. Not sure what next 2 days will bring if I am already struggling!!

Eat the snacks. I'm drinking bone broth in the morning & the evening and that seems to keep me fuller longer. Cashew butter + apple is really good. Another option is to split your meals. So, if you have eggs and bacon for brekkie, then eat the eggs first, wait an hour and have the bacon. Same with lunch. That way, the food is spread out a little and it might get you over the hangry hump without snacking. You will find foods that make you feel more full, so experimenting with different types of food is good. (Chicken jerky does not fill me up like 2T of cashew butter + apple. Just not the same).

Hang in there! One meal/day at a time - you can do this!

• Administrators
10 hours ago, SquirrelFocus said:

Eat the snacks. I'm drinking bone broth in the morning & the evening and that seems to keep me fuller longer. Cashew butter + apple is really good. Another option is to split your meals. So, if you have eggs and bacon for brekkie, then eat the eggs first, wait an hour and have the bacon. Same with lunch. That way, the food is spread out a little and it might get you over the hangry hump without snacking. You will find foods that make you feel more full, so experimenting with different types of food is good. (Chicken jerky does not fill me up like 2T of cashew butter + apple. Just not the same).

Hang in there! One meal/day at a time - you can do this!

We don't actually recommend this at all, sorry @SquirrelFocus! The point is to make the meal large enough that you are satisfied and comfortable for 4-5 hours, not to take a small meal and graze on it.

@fabfitmomma - can you post a sample of your days of eating and tag me and I can take a look and make some suggestions as to how to tweak so that you aren't chewing your arm off. While you are getting used to making meals large enough, if you need to eat in between, that's fine. We recommend focussing on either protein and fat or protein and veggie. Fruit + nuts, fruit alone or nuts alone are not at all recommended.

@ladyshanny yesterday seemed to be a compilation of things for me. I had just started my period and I think hormones had a big play in it all. Here is what I ate though:

breakfast - 2 eggs and sausage patty

lunch - egg salad (homemade with avocado mayo) and broccoli

snack - 1Tbsp almond butter and unsweetened coconut and Apple

dinner - chicken breast and green beans

today:

breakfast: eggs and sausage

lunch: salmon and avocado

snack: 1 Tbsp almond butter, unsweetened coconut and banana

dinner: bone broth,  chicken breast, broccoli, sugar snap peas and egg

today went better.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, fabfitmomma said:

@ladyshanny yesterday seemed to be a compilation of things for me. I had just started my period and I think hormones had a big play in it all. Here is what I ate though:

breakfast - 2 eggs and sausage patty - add 2-3 cups of veggies here. Either all non-starchy or a combo of starchy and green. Add fat

lunch - egg salad (homemade with avocado mayo) and broccoli - how many eggs worth? 3-4? 2-3 cups of veggies?

snack - 1Tbsp almond butter and unsweetened coconut and Apple - if you need to eat between meals, go for protein + fat or protein + veggies

dinner - chicken breast and green beans - no fat? How much veggies?

today:

breakfast: eggs and sausage - recommendation as above

lunch: salmon and avocado - where are your veggies and fat?

snack: 1 Tbsp almond butter, unsweetened coconut and banana - recommendation as above

dinner: bone broth,  chicken breast, broccoli, sugar snap peas and egg - add fat

Hi @fabfitmomma - I've made some notes about your meal composition that you may want to take under advisement. Although you say that today is better, if you continue to undereat in this manner we'll be seeing you in about 10 days troubleshooting lethargy, headaches, cravings etc. ;)  Have you seen the meal template? It's linked in my signature below or if you're on a mobile device, just google "Whole30 meal template".

Also know that the week leading up to and the first couple days of your period your body naturally wants more food.

Archived