Pianomomof3 R1

pianomomof3

I just discovered this today!  I hadn't delved this deep into the W30 website until just noq.  I am hoping to use my journal and go back and update the past few days so I have a place to return and relive all the positives and figure out the negatives.  

I started my first round on April 2, 2018.  I'm hoping to lose weight (I am morbidly obese), decrease inflammation (I have several forms of arthritis, liver issues, post GB removal May 2017) and slay my sugar dragon:angry:.  I believe I am truly addicted to sugar and it needs to stop.

While expecting the "hangover" on day 3 and the KATT on day 4, neither one arrived until today...Day 5.  I'm tired.  I'm cranky.  I've got a very short fuse.  I have a massive headache.  I'm on the verge of tears.  I don't even want to eat.  (Which is a first for me! ;))

But, I have eaten.  A fully compliant breakfast and a lunch.  It's 2:30 in the afternoon, school is almost over and I just want to go home, throw on my jammies and crawl under the covers.  Instead I will cook some hamburgers and prep some salads for the next couple of days; make some egg "muffins" for next work week and another batch of Dump Ranch.  I KNOW that this is what will help me to be successful on this program and will also help me to make permanent, lasting changes that will benefit me in the future.  :)

R1D12

I’ve discovered just how much I was actually eating.  And not even really hungry when I ate!  I know that seems so basic; yet it took 50+years for me to get a clue.  

There are many times I’m not even hungry?  Is this normal?  I go ahead and eat, but am afraid I may not be eating enough?!?  This is such a new concept for me.  To actually FEEL hunger.  And to know how to feed it and (better still) when to stop.  

I had a “mini-meal” snack on days 1&2 but I haven’t  since.  I think I was afraid of being hungry or just not getting enough.  Well I’ve learned that “enough” is just that.  Just what my body needs to function optimally.  

I even had two days of a stomach/intestinal virus and while the BRAT diet was out; the SCABB diet was in!!  Thanks to La Croix and some coconut water I made it.  A few spoonfuls of unsweetened applesauce, a banan and some bone broth and I was good as new in about 48 hours.  

Was it “exactly” as the meal template?  No, of course not.  But, it WAS all compliant and I didn’t have to “start over” by eating a saltine!!  

So, I’m looking forward to what the next couple of weeks will bring and how I’ll feel.   Looking at reintroduction and how I’ll work that - truly hoping to find some things that are actually problems for me.  

Tonights crazy thrown together dinner:

chicken breast cut up in to bite size pieces mixed with diced apple, grapes, celery, onion, red pepper and pecans.   Used a bit of Avocado Mayo from Primal Kitchen and lots of yummy spices.  All thrown on about 3 cups of torn romaine and a cup of baby spinach.  So good!!! 

On 4/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, pianomomof3 said:

chicken breast cut up in to bite size pieces mixed with diced apple, grapes, celery, onion, red pepper and pecans.   Used a bit of Avocado Mayo from Primal Kitchen and lots of yummy spices.  All thrown on about 3 cups of torn romaine and a cup of baby spinach.  So good!!! 

This sort of thing has been a lifesaver for me...chicken mixed with some kind of chopped fruit, veg, nuts and Primal Kitchen mayo. Great minds think alike!

The SCABB diet! Oo thanks for turning me on to that because I was wondering about alternatives to the BRAT diet!

The hunger thing is pretty amazing, eh? I used to just shove some chocolate in my mouth, then feel "off", which I'd try to cover up with chips, and when that wouldn't help I would shove some other food in my face. All because I was following some sort of craving. It has been immensely helpful to get off this crazy arcade ride and just follow my hunger.

R1D22

And I'm home sick today.  I finally figured it out. While I'm doing this Whole30 thing - which has been great - I can NOT process animal fats very well without a gallbladder!!  Too much of certain meats/fats and I'm down and out until it's out of my system.  Plant-based fats seem to be fine.  But beef and pork are killers for me.  I had to call the on-call surgeon in the middle of the night because I was having excruciating pain where my gall bladder should be - which could have been a blocked duct.   He's pretty sure (once the oily diarrhea hit) that that's what's happening.  I'm sitting here with a puke bucket (very nauseated but not throwing up yet) and a heating pad on my right abdomen.  I KNEW this!!  Last year when I had the gallbladder removed.  But didn't think about it when I started this.  I had made pork roast and had been eating it all weekend.   Bad plan.  Lesson learned.
My poor liver just can’t make enough bile quickly enough to process the fats.   I woke in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in my right upper abdomen and the most God-awful trips to the bathroom (TMI, sorry).  I had cooked a large pork butt and had been eating it daily for several days- I’d drained off all the fat, saved the broth...but this particular cut holds onto a lot of the fat.  So, I’m to eat smaller, more frequent meals and NOT drink water with meals since it dilutes what bile my liver IS releasing. And blood work tomorrow to be sure my liver is still acting right.  No wonder I’ve felt like I’ve had the stomach/intestinal bug for three weeks!!  FYI:  page 105-106 in the Whole30 “bible”.  I’m totally NOT blaming the plan at all!  I’m blaming myself for not reading ahead and considering my lack of a gallbladder to be a “medical condition” - I’d skimmed that chapter and didn’t hit on any of the titles of the paragraphs, apparently skipping the gallbladder one... If I’d only read it first.  Lesson learned - the hard way!

I failed to mention that this discovery happened after I’d called the on call surgeon fearing a blocked bile duct.  My symptoms didn’t coincide with a blocked duct and then we started talking about everything.  And came to this conclusion.

OK...I’m rambling.  But taking it easy today on my gut - bone broth, sips of VERY diluted fruit juice in water.  (Think 1oz to 16 oz). 1/2 a banana.  I’ll try a boiled potato tonight and then hopefully progress tomorrow.  Smaller, more frequent meals should help, too. 

Oh wow. I wonder if an ox bile supplement would help you? I had my gallbladder out a few years ago. There were certain foods that made it cranky (dairy, spicy) and still make the area cranky now, but it's better than it was. It just takes time for the body to adjust.

Archived