Newbie Starting 5/1

cassiemarie10

Hi.  I just finished listening to the It Starts with Food audiobook based on a recommendation from a co-worker.  She is toward the end of her Whole30 and told me how much better she feels and just looking at her she is glowing.  I've decided to start my Whole30 on May 1st.  I even talked my husband into doing it with me, which surprised me as he loves his potato chips, popcorn and beer!  After my son's last check up, we have more important issues though.  

My son has always been a big boy, 99th percentile in height and weight since he was 6 months old.  I've always worried about his weight, but his doctor said he's just growing, and he's healthy.  The last check up is when they told me that it is now getting to be a problem.  He doesn't need to lose weight, just stop gaining so that when he will even out.  His doctor also warned that he's at risk for developing diabetes.  He suggested limiting sugar and carbs, but not to shy away from fat like we've been told for so long.  When I came across Whole30 it sounded amazing!  

That is just my son.  I've got my issues too.  I've had chronic headaches since I was six and migraines since I was twelve.  If I have a chance to not experience 20-28 headaches with 3-4 migraines a month, I'll try anything!  If I happen to lose some weight I wouldn't mind that either.

Hi,

It sounds like you're going to be well prepared for May 1st! It's great that your husband is supporting you in this.

I was always heavy set as a kid so I can understand your concern. I obviously don't know your son, but from my experience I think having the whole family do the Whole30 could be exactly what he needs! Especially if you purge your house of junk food (my weakness at that age was Kraft mac and cheese) so when he's hungry he doesn't even have the option to grab food-with-no-breaks.

I wish you the best of luck! I'm starting my third Whole30 tomorrow, but I look forward to reading any updates you post in May :) 

I get a lot of headaches & migraines and that was one of the reasons I decided to give Whole30 a try (I'm only on day 2). I hope you see improvement!

I spent over a month preparing for to start - trying recipes and slowing cutting out non-compliant foods (especially sugar).

Rachel

Thanks for the encouragement @MissEmilyRae.  I was shocked when I talked my husband into joining me.  He loves his milk, beer and popcorn, but he decided that if it would help get our son on the right track he could give it 30 days.  

@rusrach I hope you find relief from your headaches and migraines.  I've lived with them for so long that I honestly can't even fathom what life must be like without them!

@cassiemarie10 - I got my first migraine when I was 10, so I know what you mean by not being able to fathom NOT living with them. There were a few years when I pretty much had one every day. I was able to make some environmental changes (like getting away from florescent lighting at work) that really did help, but I still get them fairly regularly.

Rachel

Hi! i am starting my very first whole30 on May 1st as well.  I have always been very athletic and overall thin but since having my both my kids ( now 11 & 9)  and my lifestyle being much different I have struggled to lose my weight and keep  it off.  My mom was diagnosed with osteoarthritis around my age and I, too, am starting to feel joint pain.  I still exercise daily but my body aches and I don't lose weight so I am going to give this a try.  I look forward to keeping in touch as we go through this process.  

Archived