Tomatoes

• Moderators

You really just need to go to the store and read labels for the tomatoes. Remember that you're just looking at the ingredients list, not the nutrition information panel. Tomatoes naturally contain sugar, so there will be some grams of sugar on the nutrition information, but all you need to worry about is that all the ingredients listed are okay for Whole30. There are several brands that are compliant, I've never had an issue finding any when I needed them. Muir Glen has some compliant options, but I've also found store brand ones that worked fine.

Beans are not allowed on Whole30 unless you're doing the vegetarian program.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, Paigew999 said:

I have looked at Muir Glen and I have not found any of theirs to be compliant.  The only brand that is actually tomatoes in a can (box) is Pomi.  Any other ideas? 

I'm not sure what to tell you other than go to the store and read labels. It's okay if there are things like salt, spices, or citric acid, as long as everything is compliant. You can also always just use fresh tomatoes.

If you're not sure which additives are okay, start by checking the Common Additives Cheat Sheet and the Sneaky Sugars list, both of which can be found here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/ or Google Whole30 plus whichever ingredients you're unsure about to find past discussions about that ingredient.

Archived