Desperate to feel better

Jodi Alcock

Hi all,

I'm a 42 year old mother of a 4-year-old.  Since my son's birth, I've suffered from chronic, debilitating migraines.  Nothing helps.  I'm on multiple meds with no relief.  And I'm tired. All. The. Time.  Something has to change.  So I'm starting with my diet.  Am only in the planning stages of the Whole30 journey, but am beyond hopeful that eliminating the junk from my diet will significantly help not only my migraines, but my energy levels and mood.  I just don't feel well and I'm sure my diet is at least partly to blame.  This isn't going to be easy, but it will be worth it.

Looking forward to getting to know each of you.

Hi Jodi - Welcome!!!!

I to am a migraine sufferer - and they are terrible.  Eating Whole 30 style definitely did me a lot of good and I was able to reduce/eliminate/control my migraines simply by what I eat.  I still get them (as I don't eat whole 30 or Paleo all of the time as part of my riding my own bike) but the frequency, duration and intensity has diminished substantially. 

A couple of things that may help you off the bat that many migraine sufferer's are deficient in is Magnesium, Vitamins B6 &12 and Vitamin D.  But since I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, I would recommend getting your Vitamin D and B levels tested before starting to take supplements.  Magnesium is hard to take to much as your body will just start getting rid of it and you might have diarrhea when you are taking too much Magnesium.  The brand that is mentioned around these parts is Natural Calm Unflavoured.

Some other stuff to delve into - Many people who have a histamine intolerance also have migraines as migraines are a symptom of histamine intolerance. Shopping list here https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-histamine.pdf

However before you shoot off in that direction - do a regular whole 30 first - see how it goes, then if you feel you need more help with the situation take on the low histamine version.  Don't go from eating SAD to low histamine - that would be too restrictive too fast and it would kind of suck.

Please, please, please make sure you eat enough.  This is very important.  Follow the meal template here: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf Also don't be afraid of starchy veggies.  I recommend starting off with one fist sized portion of root vegetable daily.  Sometimes you will need more.

When you are having a migraine and don't feel like eating because of the nausea - try to get something down - anything.  Usually eggs (about the only time I will eat eggs) and sweet potatoes are my go to, along with ginger kombucha.  They all help.  Find the compliant foods that most appeal to you during this time, and eat them.  And sometimes I will eat this 3 times a day cause that's all I want - and that's OK.  I am doing my best with what is going on.

Best of luck - You're in the right place.

Archived