constant hunger

Okay, I’m on day 5 and experiencing constant hunger.  I’m oddly hungry WHILE I am eating, like can’t eat fast enough, and hungry immediately after.  I would eat broccoli and steak, it’s not sweet-specific or even food-specific.

background: mom of a 2 year old and 1 year old.  Breastfeeding both kids.  Triathlon and half marathon training.  Generally active lifestyle.  Prior to this whole 30 I ate a healthy grain-heavy diet (oatmeal for breakfast, salad with protein and quinoa or brown rice for lunch, protein+starch+veg for dinner.  Definite sugar junkie: afternoon while kids nap & evening after they go to bed I would have dark chocolate or homemade raw chocolate with cacao sweetened with maple syrup, portion control is hard here). Prior to whole 30 drink 1 gallon of water per day plus electrolyte beverage after workouts.

sample day:

1.5+ gallons of water.

5:30: coffee with fat (coco oil or ghee) liter water

7:30: 3 hardboiled eggs.  2 large handfuls of kale, steamed, 1/2 sweet potato, a tomato, chia seeds and nuts on top.

8:45: handful nuts

9:00: run with double stroller 

10:15: water with lime juice and salt

11:30: 1.5xpalm sized piece of salmon, over half a zucchini, a baked potato with coconut oil, a cup of broccoli and some beets.  (All veg cooked), sliced black olives.  Hungry immediately after eating this.

2:30: hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado

3:00: 15 mile bike ride

5:30: bone - in pork chop, large sweet potato, sautéed green beans, salad dressed with oil & vinegar

8:00 starving again - more salad topped with nuts, leftover salmon, banana & almond butter.

Do I have a tapeworm or what? Also of note I am feeling very angry for no reason but I read that is a normal phase.

Do I just need to get used to a different feeling from not eating grains? 

Help please and thank you!

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, mamaoleary said:

background: mom of a 2 year old and 1 year old.  Breastfeeding both kids.  Triathlon and half marathon training.  

You are not eating enough food for a person who is training for marathons/triathlons while also keeping TWO other humans alive with your own body. Nope.

We recommend 4-full meals for breastfeeding women, pre and post workout food (protein and fat before, lean protein and starchy veggie after). You need to eat way more food.

Noted, and thanks.  Maybe a “duh” question, like, if you’re hungry, eat! But the volume seems huge to me.  

Ill try adding a full meal maybe when I wake up.  My toddler told me after nap today I “only have tiny milk”, so hopefully I can keep up my supply while doing the w30.  

Thank you for the feedback!

Archived