Help...want to eat out at Burger place with friends

Melissa J

I have friends coming from out of town and they really want to go to a good burger restaurant. Zombie Burger in Des Moines, IS is where they are thinking. They don’t have a lot of options for me, but I’m wondering about ordering a burger. Can I order a plain burger or do I need to ask questions or worry about anything with the burger itself?  I would get it on a bed of lettuce and get a side of salsa and guacamole. I just wanted to make sure I don’t need to ask about the burger itself. I don’t see any side options that work, but that’s ok. I can deal with that. Thanks!!

• Moderators

You'd have to ask about ingredients in everything to ensure it's compliant. Even though many versions of salsa or guacamole are fine, you'd want to make sure they don't add anything off limits to theirs, and yes, you'll have to ask about the meat, both anything added to it and what they cook it in. 

Your best bet might be to call the location you plan to go to ahead of time, during a non-rush time, and explain what you need and see what they say.

You can find more tips about dining out in the downloadable dining out guide here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Thanks!  I was afraid of that!  That’s why I’ve been avoiding going out. Obviously I’d pick someplace else, but want my friends to enjoy their time here and they been doing their own food programs and really want a burger when they come. This does make it more stressful, but I’ll call ahead. 

I did this - 

I ordered a plain salad no cheese. And just oil for dressing. No croutons. 

Then I slid in my own sliced chicken breast under the table. 

Sort of a sneaky thing and I too wanted to go out. Maybe you could suggest this to your friends...

Make burgers at home and save money and time. 

Shift the focus away from the food and onto the fellowship of just hanging out. 

And sometimes when we don't get what we want and exercise a level of self control - I know for me at least it makes me feel incredible strong with nerves of steel I didn't know I had. 

Burgers are often cooked with butter or other oils slathered on them, with fillers added...then there is the bun forget that. And the guacamole I have find has sugar added at restaurants...and salad dressings are out blah why torture yourself....find another way to enjoy your friends that doesn't involve food that would move the needle in the right direction for me at least.

That being said, I did lunch with some friends during work so -

I did this - 

I ordered a plain salad no cheese. And just oil for dressing. No croutons. 

Then I slid in my own sliced chicken breast under the table. 

It wasn't even worth the money and the temptations where so thick and heavy I was exhausted by the time we got back to work. 

Sort of a sneaky thing and I too wanted to go out.

Maybe you could suggest this to your friends...

Make burgers at home and save money and time. 

Shift the focus away from the food and onto the fellowship of just hanging out. 

And sometimes when we don't get what we want and exercise a level of self control - I know for me at least it makes me feel incredible strong with nerves of steel I didn't know I had. 

Archived