Are marinades okay?

RaeDae

I am struggling with finding something to eat when we I go to a restaurant. I always want to order grilled chicken or steak, but I worry about the marinade or seasonings the cooks are using. I have tried asking for only salt and pepper on my chicken or steak, but they say the chicken is already marinated. Is this okay to have? 

• Moderators

You have to ask what they marinate it in. Many marinades have sugar or soy sauce, and those would not be allowed.  If you know you're going to be going out to eat, and you know where you'll be going, you might want to research the restaurant beforehand. If they have allergen information or a menu or anything online, pick a few options that seem like they might be okay, and call the restaurant at a time they're not busy and ask so you don't have to ask while you're sitting there trying to order. If you know that you always go out to eat on a certain day, but whoever you go with is open to trying different restaurants, do some research about what's available in your area and see if you can find someplace that works for you. 

There is a dining guide you can download here that has some information about what kinds of things to ask:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Archived