Non-compliant prenatal

I started my W30 yesterday. I'm nursing a 13-mo 4-5 times/day, so I take a prenatal supplement.

I realized today that my daily prenatal is non-compliant. It's the Garden of Life brand and contains things like sprouted legumes. I only take 1/3 of the recommended dose (1 instead of 3 capsules) per day anyway, so I'm wondering whether I should just drop it for the length of the Whole 30. I imagine I'll be getting plenty of nutrition from the extra vegetables I'll be consuming.

I know the decision is ultimately up to me, possibly with input from my doctor. But I'm curious how much of an impact such small doses of non-compliant ingredients may or may not have. Weighing the pros and cons here. I want to jeopardize neither the benefits of the Whole 30 nor my health (by not taking the prenatal for a month or longer).

• Moderators

We can't really say how much of an effect this will have, because it depends on you. If someone is very sensitive to legumes, it could have a big effect for them, but for someone who can have them without much reaction, the amount in these vitamins may not make any difference at all. You could do some research and see if you can find a compliant version, or you could ask your doctor how much difference taking these versus not taking them makes (and maybe if there are particular nutrients that make the biggest difference -- you could then focus on foods containing those, or finding supplements for those particular vitamins). You could just stop taking them, but I think if it were me, I'd probably feel better with my doctor's input, since it's not just you, it's you and your little one who will be affected. And if your doctor does say you absolutely need to take them, then doctor's orders do trump Whole30 rules. 

Also, do remember that for nursing moms, the recommendation for three meals a day and no snacks doesn't apply -- you should probably aim for four full meals, or three meals and a couple of mini meals. And if you are hungry, definitely eat. 

Archived