Introducing myself

Ruth Mason

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ruth Mason said:

Hi, I'm Ruth, I am a writer and parent educator, live in Jerusalem and I'm starting today, Sept. 19. I figure I can use the Yom Kippur fast to kick start this! I have a question: palm-sized -- that includes the thickness of our palm as well? Thanks!

Welcome!

Yes, palm size is your own palm's thickness x width x length :)

Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to answer. So I joined a few days ago -- I'm on day 3 and doing fine so far. I'm used to eating 3 smaller meals and 3 small snacks tho, but I'm trying the 3 meals thing. So far it's gone well but right now -- about 2 hours after a nice lunch of yummy  homemade goulash soup and lots of veggies, and a handful of seeds I'm starting to get hungry. I had a half a big sweet potato at breakfast and am saving the other carb for dinner, so maybe that's why? Also haven't had fruit yet but it says no snacks. So my question is what to do when hunger strikes between meals? Also, a friend told me when she did this, she got an email every day encouraging and supporting her. I haven't gotten any emails...Thanks!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ruth Mason said:

Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to answer. So I joined a few days ago -- I'm on day 3 and doing fine so far. I'm used to eating 3 smaller meals and 3 small snacks tho, but I'm trying the 3 meals thing. So far it's gone well but right now -- about 2 hours after a nice lunch of yummy  homemade goulash soup and lots of veggies, and a handful of seeds I'm starting to get hungry. I had a half a big sweet potato at breakfast and am saving the other carb for dinner, so maybe that's why? Also haven't had fruit yet but it says no snacks. So my question is what to do when hunger strikes between meals? Also, a friend told me when she did this, she got an email every day encouraging and supporting her. I haven't gotten any emails...Thanks!

Did your lunch have protein in it?  Altho soup is a great choice, it can have less staying power than chewed food much like we say about smoothies because liquid food digests faster.  Usually when I have soup for a meal its either packed to the rafters with protein and veggies or I have it alongside protein and veggies.  Seeds don't do it for me as a fat source as much as something like avocado or mayo or olives - that may just be me but try changing out the fat as well.

In the meantime, since you cant go back in time and change your soup meal this time, if you're hungry between meals enough to relish eating something bland like steamed broccoli and fish, then go ahead and eat a mini meal but we don't recommend fruit on its own for this purpose.  You're better off doing fat and protein like a hardboiled egg and bit of mayo for instance.

As far as the emails, we used to have a paid service called Whole30 Daily that generated emails daily but the Whole30 Day by Day book replaced that service so there are no longer emails.  At the time, your friend would have paid $15 for the service and the book is actually less than that if I recall so it's a better deal and the book has the journal pages and much more content.

Thank you, Sugar Cube! Actually the soup had the portion of meat in it -- I figured 4 cubes of beef was about equivalent to my palm but I might have underestimated Also, I see I could have had two servings of protein. Thanks for the tip about what to eat between meals. I'm going to look for that homemade mayo recipe.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ruth Mason said:

I'm on a question roll. So I had dinner at 6. I planned to eat fish, salad, veggies and a potato but was full after the fish and veggies and a couple of bites of salad. So if I get hungry in a couple of hours, can I have the rest?

Sure but make note of your meal composition if you ARE hungry in a few hours and try adding more fat to the meal so that you're not hungry in a couple hours.  The goal is to get 4-5 hours between meals.

As far as the meat in the soup, the meal template is the minimum recommendation so keep working with the template and meal composition until you hit that 4-5 hour mark :) 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ruth Mason said:

Thanks again. And the fat question? i.e. if I for example fry two eggs in a tablespoon of olive oil, that's my fat for that meal, right?

We recommend not counting the cooking fat - much of it gets left in the pan or split between portions if you're batch cooking... and since you're having trouble getting the 4-5 hours between meals, add a plated fat to each meal and experiment that way

Archived