Well howdy and hello! Today is my first day on Whole 30, and so far I seem to still be alive! I've never been much of one for using forums but I figure that putting something up here, with such an active community, will help to keep me honest and motivated.

One of the things I noticed today: it's lunchtime, and I'm hungry. And there's this weird feeling that I should delay eating for a while, because this is a diet. I know that's totally against the whole principle of Whole 30 -- it's not a diet, it's a way of life -- but the reality is I'm retraining myself to eat, and it's uncomfortable just like a diet. I did just nosh on a cup of carrots, but I need to go back in my fridge and help myself to a serving of last night's pork leftovers after I'm done with this post.

I'm nervous about my ability to finish out this program. I did eat paleo-ish for several months leading up to my wedding last year (I followed The Perfect Health Diet, after hearing transformational stories from several coworkers), but we were still allowed smaller amounts of dairy, rice, white potatoes, and wine and that made the change much more palatable. It also advocated a high intake of saturated fats to keep you full, while the Whole 30 favors of filling your plate with vegetables and fruit-- and I've never been a huge veggie nut. I think I lost about 15 pounds on PHD, and more importantly, gained a lot of energy and recognized that I most certainly have some level of gluten intolerance.

I'm doing the Whole 30 for my husband. He had a difficult time on PHD because he is an insomniac and even on that program couldn't get to sleep without knocking himself out with alcohol. For the most part, he maintained his weight, but he wanted to lose pounds and in the end he felt PHD didn't work for him.

If I had to call out my top fears for the Whole 30, this would be it.

• I don't know if I can do no-carb. I've heard about the "carb flu" and don't know if I can make it through that!
  • I am concerned my husband's insomnia is going to get worse on the diet, since he won't be able to "knock himself out" the same way he has for years. He is, too.
  • I don't know how I'm going to manage business trips on the Whole 30. Drinking is such a central part of how most of my work relationships have been built.
  • So far, I am still harboring a fair amount of uncertainty about my ability to do this -- and I haven't gone "all in." For now, I'm just taking this one day at a time, and seeing how things go. It's the best I can do for now.

The good news is I have a support system around me, between my husband and a set of his friends who are doing another round of the Whole 30 with us. Let's hope I have nothing but good things to say tomorrow... and the next day... and the next day...

Anyhoo, off to make that late lunch!

:) a

Well howdy and hello! Today is my first day on Whole 30, and so far I seem to still be alive! I've never been much of one for using forums but I figure that putting something up here, with such an active community, will help to keep me honest and motivated.

One of the things I noticed today: it's lunchtime, and I'm hungry. And there's this weird feeling that I should delay eating for a while, because this is a diet. I know that's totally against the whole principle of Whole 30 -- it's not a diet, it's a way of life -- but the reality is I'm retraining myself to eat, and it's uncomfortable just like a diet. I did just nosh on a cup of carrots, but I need to go back in my fridge and help myself to a serving of last night's pork leftovers after I'm done with this post.

I'm nervous about my ability to finish out this program. I did eat paleo-ish for several months leading up to my wedding last year (I followed The Perfect Health Diet, after hearing transformational stories from several coworkers), but we were still allowed smaller amounts of dairy, rice, white potatoes, and wine and that made the change much more palatable. It also advocated a high intake of saturated fats to keep you full, while the Whole 30 favors of filling your plate with vegetables and fruit-- and I've never been a huge veggie nut. I think I lost about 15 pounds on PHD, and more importantly, gained a lot of energy and recognized that I most certainly have some level of gluten intolerance.

I'm doing the Whole 30 for my husband. He had a difficult time on PHD because he is an insomniac and even on that program couldn't get to sleep without knocking himself out with alcohol. For the most part, he maintained his weight, but he was hell-bent on losing pounds and in the end he felt PHD didn't work for him.

If I had to call out my top fears for the Whole 30, this would be it.

• I don't know if I can do no-carb. I've heard about the "carb flu" and don't know if I can make it through that!
  • I am concerned my husband's insomnia is going to get worse on the diet, since he won't be able to "knock himself out" the same way he has for years. He is, too.
  • I don't know how I'm going to manage business trips on the Whole 30. Drinking is such a central part of how most of my work relationships have been built.
  • So far, I am still harboring a fair amount of uncertainty about my ability to do this -- and I haven't gone "all in." For now, I'm just taking this one day at a time, and seeing how things go. It's the best I can do for now.

The good news is I have a support system around me, between my husband and a set of his friends who are doing another round of the Whole 30 with us. Let's hope I have nothing but good things to say tomorrow... and the next day... and the next day...

Anyhoo, off to make that late lunch!

:) a

Whole30 is not no-carb at all at all :) You're supposed to eat large portions of veg 3 times a day. If it grows in teh ground or ona tree it's a carb! The "carb-flu" is from reducing your carbs & sugars, and your body doesn't have that truck load of sugar to burn anymore & has to re-adjust. be sure to include starchy veh too like sweet potato, squashes, carrots, beets and you shouldn't suffer too much

Robb Wolf has some good articles on "sleep hygiene" and there's some here too. Alcohol actually disrupts your sleep even though it makes it easier to get to sleep, well conk out really...

Have faith in yourself !

Thanks for the response, Derval! I was actually thinking about using sweet potatoes for dinner tonight, so apparently I'm already thinking in the right direction ;)

Thanks also for the Robb Wolf reference, I just came across an interesting article on his blog that definitely piqued my interest... http://robbwolf.com/...ol-impact-zzzs/ (FYI that's edited -- I didn't read it right the first time)

My hope is I won't feel much of the carb flu since I essentially cut out sugars some 8+ months ago already and even with my splurges haven't gone too far off the wagon with breads. I suppose only time will tell...

• Moderators

Amen to eating carbs during your Whole30. It is important.

The sedative effect of alcohol wears off before morning and typically leads to waking up in the middle of the night. A better choice for getting to sleep is a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm. They sell an unsweetened version that is good to use during a Whole30. I get mine from Amazon.com. It has a sedative effect that does not disrupt your hormones or cause other trouble. Actually, using alcohol as a sedative promotes insomnia.

When you are out, drink soda water or seltzer with ice cubes. It looks like a drink and should keep things smooth.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom... we actually started taking magnesium pretty regularly for a while while doing the Perfect Health Diet, but even that didn't do much for my hubby (much to a fellow Whole 30'ers surprise). As for me, I've got no problems in the sleep department, if anything that just made me zonk out faster!

Maybe magnesium will help more with the removal of the other items (alcohol, dairy, rice, potatoes) -- it certainly can't hurt to try.

On the carb / sweet potato front, I think I'm going to try what looks to be a nom nom paleo stunner tonight -- sweet potato hash!

Archived