Cooking with Olive Oil

Kristen Cochran

Hello!  My husband and I are on Day 10.  Working great for me so far annnnnnd I used to be a vegetarian.  Eating all this protein is giving my body what it has been lacking.  I practically slept this whole summer away.  Now I'm getting so much done!

Anyway, we have been cooking with olive oil bc we thought it was compliant but just read that it's not recommended. 

What are the reasons for that?

Thank you!

• Administrators
Just now, Kristen Cochran said:

Hello!  My husband and I are on Day 10.  Working great for me so far annnnnnd I used to be a vegetarian.  Eating all this protein is giving my body what it has been lacking.  I practically slept this whole summer away.  Now I'm getting so much done!

Anyway, we have been cooking with olive oil bc we thought it was compliant but just read that it's not recommended. 

What are the reasons for that?

Thank you!

Hi @Kristen Cochran - glad that you're feeling great! Olive oil is fine (read ingredients to make sure it's not cut w/ another oil). There are better cooking fats to use if you are using higher heat though. Olive oil has a fairly low smoke point so switching to something with a higher smoke point like ghee or avocado oil is more recommended for cooking. I don't know of any other reason it wouldn't be recommended. On our shopping list, EVOO is considered one of the best.

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Archived