No appetite and occasionally nauseated

Guest Lindsey

Guest Lindsey

I’m on day 4 of whole 30 and I have no appetite. I’m making myself eat lunch and dinner,  but breakfast makes me feel nauseated. Before whole 30, I had a pretty healthy appetite. I’m not sure what to do or how to trouble shoot this. Any thoughts?

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Guest Lindsey said:

I’m on day 4 of whole 30 and I have no appetite. I’m making myself eat lunch and dinner,  but breakfast makes me feel nauseated. Before whole 30, I had a pretty healthy appetite. I’m not sure what to do or how to trouble shoot this. Any thoughts?

Hi Lindsey, it's actually quite common to have this happen in the beginning, especially if Whole30 is quite different than what you were used to. Is eating breakfast a normal thing for you? What did you used to eat? Nausea and lack of appetite for breakfast is a hormonal issue - it just takes time for your hormones to straighten themselves out. The only way though that is to just get through it. Keep eating, try and make foods that sound appealing and in a few days you should be feeling better.

You can let us know how this is different though and maybe a rundown on what you've been eating and we can see if anything stands out.

Thank you for replying! I’ve never been a big breakfast person, but when I did eat breakfasts before whole 30 it was usually fruit and yogurt or oatmeal. When I ate breakfast this week it was either a breakfast casserole (eggs, spaghetti squash, bacon, mushrooms) or a poached egg over a potato/zucchini hashbrown cooked in ghee. These last several days I haven’t eaten any breakfast and it’s been a struggle to eat my other meals as well. 

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Lindsey28 said:

Thank you for replying! I’ve never been a big breakfast person, but when I did eat breakfasts before whole 30 it was usually fruit and yogurt or oatmeal. When I ate breakfast this week it was either a breakfast casserole (eggs, spaghetti squash, bacon, mushrooms) or a poached egg over a potato/zucchini hashbrown cooked in ghee. These last several days I haven’t eaten any breakfast and it’s been a struggle to eat my other meals as well. 

Hi Lindsey,

Switching from nothing at all or sweets/carbs in the morning to a savoury Whole30-style breakfast can be a bumpy transition for some. To get past this as quickly as possible, we recommend eating a template meal within an hour of waking. If you can't get through the whole thing, eat as much as you can from around the plate (ie, get some protein, veggies and fat) and then pack it up and take it with you to eat as soon as you feel able (ie, don't wait for the next meal or a growling stomach). If you can do this, you'll likely find yourself ready for a full breakfast in the morning.

Lack of appetite or reduced eating tends to breed more of the same so by not eating breakfast you're just compounding the problem later on in the day. :(

Archived