Jumping back on the bike

The two weeks mid-May during this one big event my company hosts are pretty much the reason I have a job the other 50 weeks of the year. It entailed 12-17 hour days, every day, for 10 days. A never ending stream of snacks and coffee made it into my mouth for those ten days, and few actual meals. I managed to avoid gluten but everything else was fair game to go into my face.

The first couple of days back were groggy and pretty brutal, but within about 3 days of cleaning up my act (3 square meals of actual food), I felt much much better. It really surprised me how quickly I bounced back - even the five or so pounds of bloaty awfulness were pretty quick to go away.

I had a great time at the event, it was both stressful and exhilirating, and I know it's going to happen again next year. And I'd love to promise that it's going to be different next year, but at the time, you feel like you're on a different planet. One where M&Ms just pour from the sky and are magical little stress busters.

I guess it's just good to know that there is a proven recipe for recovery after such a stress/food bender. For me it was a week in the Canadian rockies & getting back into the Whole30 mindset for a few days.

Archived