Lethargic and lacking motivation

Boldfamily

Finishing up day 14 today of my first Whole 30. (Background info is that I'm dealing with intense grief after a year full of losses culminating with my father dying in Oct. ) 

I don't even know if this will make sense.  Has anyone experienced lack of energy and motivation to do things because of all the items cut out? Kind of like depressed. I'm happy with the way I'm eating,  but generally go to food when I'm stressed.  Could not eating those foods be adding to my down mood? 

• Administrators

Sorry about the year you've had!

We do see some people who inadvertently go too low carb and suffer some increased anxiety and depression. We encourage you to see a doctor if you're concerned but this can often be remedied by including a fist sized serving of starchy veggie at least once a day. For someone who is already experiencing low mood and energy, you can increase that as needed.

There is also such thing as food grief which, when combined with existing grief, could cause this also. We do "mourn" our normal ways of coping and our historical comfort foods when they are no longer available to us. If this isn't the right time for you or you feel like these 30 days are making you feel worse, you are always free to reevaluate!

Archived