Coconut Oil

Im not sure if this belongs here or not (and if not please feel free to move to the appropriate spot) but I have a question concerning coconut oil.

I have been reading about its many benefits and how people will actually just eat it off a spoon or mix it in drinks. My question is, when/how/why is this a good idea to do? Should it be done througout the day? As a treat only? In place of a protein at a meal? I need clarification.

Thanks for you help!

i don't really think of coconut oil as a supplement, but i sure do cook with it! it's delicious, and is a very healthy, heat-resistant fat. the lauric acid has antimicrobial properties and is very ketogenic, according to mary enig, a lipid biochemist who wrote a book on fats that i read ("know your fats"). i know it's popular to eat it off a spoon, but i never do that (with any fat, for that matter). i've added it to coffee on other people's suggestions, but didn't really care for that either. so, stir-frying and sauteing is really the only thing i use it for.

I have eaten it off the spoon and also mixed with cocoa powder! I know folks who also put it in their coffee.

Jenn & Jakey-

I personally don't know anyone who eats coconut oil off of a spoon, but, rather, coconut butter (sometimes labeled coconut manna). It's delicious! As far as in coffee, try using coconut milk (the full-fat kind), not oil.

Im not sure if this belongs here or not (and if not please feel free to move to the appropriate spot) but I have a question concerning coconut oil.

I have been reading about its many benefits and how people will actually just eat it off a spoon or mix it in drinks. My question is, when/how/why is this a good idea to do? Should it be done througout the day? As a treat only? In place of a protein at a meal? I need clarification.

Thanks for you help!

I eat coconut oil right off the spoon once or twice a day (big, heaping spoonfuls). This gives me the health benefits, but saves me from having to cook with it. Not that it's not a great fat with which to cook, but I personally don't want all my food to taste like coconut!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought there were two kinds of coconut oil, refined and unrefined? I read one tastes like coconut the other does not. I could use clarification too before I go searching for something that doesn't exist, lol!

vic.renk: Refined coconut oil has no coconut scent or flavor. Unrefined smells and tastes like coconut...though in my experience the strength of that smell and taste varies by brand. I've used unrefined coconut oil for my hair for years and so when I started cooking with it I used my usual brand, which is Spectrum Naturals. Once I killed that jar, I decided to get an Amazon subscription that sends me two jars of Nutiva brand every three months. The coconut smell and taste, while there, isn't quite as strong as it is with Spectrum Naturals. Keep in mind, though, that after a couple of days of cooking with it, you eventually get used to it. I don't really taste it so much anymore and because it's so high in fat, it makes my egg breakfasts last longer, so to speak.

In a way I'm both happy and sad that coconut oil is getting so much press now. Happy because people are finding out how awesome it is, and sad because the price is starting to go up and it's getting harder to find (hence Amazon). Hope this helps...

Archived