Starting January 11! Any other nightshifters out there?

Jesskimo

Howdy! I’m Jess, and I’m from Texas. I’ve had the Whole30 book for a while, but I’m finally going to act on it. Hoping to have better energy levels, better sleep, and healthier eating habits by the end of this process. I work nights in the ER, and I’m hoping this helps me cope a bit better with all the opportunities for unhealthy eating that come along with working nightshifts. If anyone has any tips or advice, please feel free to let me know! Excited to start this journey! 

I work nights as an RN and have had a few night shifts since starting  Jan 01.... Man oh man was it challenging.. probably the most challenging times fighting cravings for me so far! I felt soooo good leaving work though knowing I hadn't given in to my cravings, gave me more energy almost! Try to fight for that feeling! its a good one. Then treat yourself to a really yummy breakfast at home!

• 4 months later...

I work ED night shifts as well, when I work my first I'm up for 24+h. How do you manage your meals that day and avoid any "snacks" or smaller meals. I'm not sure how I will every be able to regulate my hormones properly with this schedule but what is the whole30 recommendations for this type of schedule?

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dianako said:

I work ED night shifts as well, when I work my first I'm up for 24+h. How do you manage your meals that day and avoid any "snacks" or smaller meals. I'm not sure how I will every be able to regulate my hormones properly with this schedule but what is the whole30 recommendations for this type of schedule?

Food wise, eat as many meals as you need to, aiming to go 4-5 hours between meals. This will likely be more than three meals, and that is okay. It may be four or five full meals, or three meals and some mini-meals, but each time you eat, try to have vegetables, protein, and fat.

This is one description of how one person dealt with working the night shift, maybe it will be helpful for you: https://nomnompaleo.com/post/55156756199/surviving-the-night-shift

Archived