Coconut Milk Inquiry

Kemz

Hello dear Whole30ers!

I am doing my first whole30. I am currently in Sweden and I find it quite hard to find a Coconut Milk without added sugars. However, the majority declare 0.5 gr or <0.5 gr. I checked some whole30 approved coconut milk such as Thai Kitchen and Whole Foods 365 and they declare at least 1gr. Therefore, the ones available here should be ok to consume?

I appreciate your comments. Thanks!

• Moderators

The rules say no added sugar. That would be sugar in the ingredients list. The grams of sugar content could be from added sugar, or it could be from naturally occurring sugar that is in any fruit. Do all the coconut milks available there actually list sugar (or another sweetener, they might call it dextrose or some other name) in the ingredients?

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Here's the info of one that gave me some 'trustworthy' feeling. 

Kung Markatta Coconut Milk 

Organic coconut milk. Shake before use, otherwise it can get rid of. Fits Asian food such as curry and vegetable dishes, soups and sauces.

ingredients

Coconut * (60%), water. Coconut: Fairtrade ingredient from Fairtrade certified producers. Total 100%, excluding water. Read more at www.fairtrade.se

Nutrition declaration

Energy (kcal) 169 kcal, Energy (kJ) 697 kJ, Fat 17 g, Of which saturated fat is 16 g, Of which monounsaturated fat is 0 g, Of which polyunsaturated fat is 0 g, Carbohydrates 2.50 g, Of which sugar 0 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 1.50 g, Salt 0 g, Vitamin D 0 µg, Vitamin E 0 mg, Riboflavin 0 mg, Vitamin B12 0 µg, Calcium 0 mg

On web description says 'of which sugar 0gr', however on the product label says 0.5gr. If it may interfere with the program then I should avoid it? But the whole 30 approved brands do have 1gr. That was my main concern. 

4 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

The rules say no added sugar. That would be sugar in the ingredients list. The grams of sugar content could be from added sugar, or it could be from naturally occurring sugar that is in any fruit. Do all the coconut milks available there actually list sugar (or another sweetener, they might call it dextrose or some other name) in the ingredients?

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Here's the info of one that gave me some 'trustworthy' feeling. 

Kung Markatta Coconut Milk 

Organic coconut milk. Shake before use, otherwise it can get rid of. Fits Asian food such as curry and vegetable dishes, soups and sauces.

ingredients

Coconut * (60%), water. Coconut: Fairtrade ingredient from Fairtrade certified producers. Total 100%, excluding water. Read more at www.fairtrade.se

Nutrition declaration

Energy (kcal) 169 kcal, Energy (kJ) 697 kJ, Fat 17 g, Of which saturated fat is 16 g, Of which monounsaturated fat is 0 g, Of which polyunsaturated fat is 0 g, Carbohydrates 2.50 g, Of which sugar 0 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 1.50 g, Salt 0 g, Vitamin D 0 µg, Vitamin E 0 mg, Riboflavin 0 mg, Vitamin B12 0 µg, Calcium 0 mg

On web description says 'of which sugar 0gr', however on the product label says 0.5gr. If it may interfere with the program then I should avoid it? But the whole 30 approved brands do have 1gr. That was my main concern. 

• Moderators

The ingredients don't say anything other than coconut and water. All you need to look at is the ingredients. Ignore all the stuff under the Nutrition Declaration. This is fine, no matter how many grams of sugar, because they have not added any sugar to the coconut, coconut just happens to contain naturally occurring sugars, just like any other fruit does. 

7 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

The ingredients don't say anything other than coconut and water. All you need to look at is the ingredients. Ignore all the stuff under the Nutrition Declaration. This is fine, no matter how many grams of sugar, because they have not added any sugar to the coconut, coconut just happens to contain naturally occurring sugars, just like any other fruit does. 

Thank you for your help! I totally read that on the book (ingredients part), but I was just a bit confused by the added sugars on the nutritional facts. 

Archived