No prep time, too late to eat?

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 19 of my first and feeling good, not really feeling the tiger blood, but I'm lucky I was in a pretty good place to begin with. But now my eating schedule is all of wack. I am caring for my father on hospice at home and now nearly zero time for prep or for eating regularly as I was before. When I could be prepping, I am usually sleeping. My question is, is it too late to eat a meal at 1030 at night when I wake up from a nap? I am assuming yes, and I'm not hungry anyway. But I try to eat say a little ground beef and avocado because I think I should. Or should I just skip it altogether? I know I won't be sleeping again for hours though...

I have respite here occasionally but no one to help with cooking. 

I am drinking a LOT of coffee with ghee and/or coconut oil however. ;/

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Moderators

I'm sorry you're going through this, and applaud you for trying to stay with whole30 during a very stressful time.

If you're hungry, definitely eat then. If you haven't been eating enough in general and you can eat then, it's okay too -- it is good to make sure you're eating enough to sustain you, especially at a time when you're under stress and probably not getting enough sleep. 

Maybe there are some options that you could keep on hand that wouldn't take a lot of effort or prepping to help you stay on track during this time.  Have you heard about the whole30 compliant frozen meals at Walmart? I have not tried them yet, but people who have say they're pretty good, and this is the kind of situation where they could be very helpful, if your Walmart carries them. Here's more about them:  https://whole30.com/2018/11/walmart/. Cans or pouches of tuna or salmon, frozen vegetables, premade guacamole (like Wholly Guacamole brand), jerky or meat bars (like Epic bars), and olives could give you some other options that would be easy.

If you have a little time once or twice a week when you could spend time cooking, you could cook several servings at once so you can reheat later -- make a pot of soup, or bake some chicken, or brown a pound of ground meat, or hard boil a dozen eggs. 

Finally, this may be a time when you just have to do the best you can do. It is important that you eat, and that you eat the healthiest options you can manage, but it may not be the right time to do a whole30. If it turns out that you can't finish this one, that is okay. You can always try again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the words and advice Shannon! I have barely skimmed the surface of this forum, and I wish I had come to it more for support. I really appreciate it! Your suggestions were really helpful and I've done my best to make some really large long lasting roasts and etc

I am hanging in there, I really didnt want to quit when I had already made it so far. I know I can truly optimise it at a later date, because for sure I have not been getting enough sleep or exercise. 

I have discovered a new liking for a mate latte with a good dose of coconut oil. I was drinking way too much bullet coffee.  Anyone else drinking this or have some ideas to amp it up? Some cacao powder doesn't hurt either. (tiny)

I might have taken some liberties with cacao just to help get me through this time. Nibs are great on salads too...

Thanks again, so much.

Archived