Day 35 - yes, crossing the international date line means I had the easiest W30 day 34 on the planet!

Lorna from Canada

Kia ora!

Back in the lounge now in Aukland but it's a different experience. 8:45AM in Vancouver and 5:45AM here (although we skipped a day - I missed Chinese New Years! Gung Hay Fat Choy everyone!) and I have no need to eat anything. I had fruit and nuts for breakfast and a bag of potato chips - not technically compliant but, when things are tough, the tough have to make due with what's on hand. I think the cabin attendants were irritated by my dietary requests - I said no to everything they offered after asking how it was prepared. I did eat a piece of salmon that was steamed and sauceless. BUT -  I made it!! I have successfully navigated 15 hours of biz class service both on the ground and in the air and am still W30. Yeah me.

Now on to the next challenge - the final 5 days in Adelaide. My middle daughter, our Canadian-Australian, has said that all talk of dieting is an emotional trigger for her. I don't doubt it - she grew up in my constantly dieting world - losing and gaining the same 10, 20, 50lbs over and over again. Despite our own weight gains, Hubs and I were always talking about our kids' food choices - my girls called their dad the Carb Police. To this day, they joke about the things we said. I'm not proud of this - I realize Hubs and I created a toxic environment where food was an enemy and weight gain was inevitable. Fortunately, on the balance of things, we did many more things right and have enjoyed wonderful relationships with our kids and their partners but - that parental moment when you look back and wish you could change one thing... food and our relationship to it is that one thing.

So, fast forward to 2019. Gee and I decided C-A should know about this W30 ahead of time so she wouldn't feel like we were doing something without her. C-A has a bit of challenge with us not keeping her in the lopp - it makes her feel isolated. We didn't tell her that her favourite cat was ill until it was too late. I get that it's hard being so far away. ANYWAY - we try to be more informative so she doesn't feel too out of the loop. So, we told her about the W30 and that's when she said "dieting talk is triggering for me" so, we left it at that. 

Now I am going to her home for 9 weeks - as I've done successfully before. But, for the first 6 days, I'll be W30.  This is going to take some finessing! I will be able to manage, I think, but I don't want any tension starting off the trip. We will take this one day at a time.

Archived