Hi. I am doing my first whole30. I am on Day 4. I had my thyroid removed in Dec 2011 because of Hashimotos Thyroiditis. It had grown so large it was obstructing my airway. I have had difficulty regulating my TSH levels ever since.

I decided to do Whole30 to see how my diet and nutrition might be affecting my med balance and how I felt. As part of my regularly scheduled follow up dates I saw my doc on Wednesday, day 1. I am currently taking 200 mcg of synthroid daily. My TSH level came back 7.33!

I'm so frustrated. I know I've got more medical work to do with this. But, my question is should I keep going with the Whole30 or wait to their is more control of my TSH. Will I be able to feel, better, get more energy, and find out what foods cause a reaction for me?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawn

I dont have any personal experience with thyroid isues however, Melissa Joulwan is a Whole 30 ambassador and have dealt with thyroid problems and blogged extensively about her condition and Whole 30 eating.

Here is the link...http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/tag/thyroid/page/3/

There are 3 pages of pretty frank reading that may answer some questions. Plus, she is just awesome and has some great recipes!

Hi Dawn,

How are you?

I never had Hashimoto's disease, but I had my thyroid removed in 1991 due to cancer that had spread from my thyroid to my lymph nodes. It came back in 2000 but I have been cancer free since. However, it has wreaked havoc on my endocrine system and as I get older, managing my thyroid levels is a constant struggle. I understand your frustration with such a high TSH level.

Whole 30 was a huge game-changer as far as managing my health. I did a W100 over the summer and then remained mostly compliant through the holidays. I am now doing a W45 and my health continues to improve.

Foods like dairy and soy interfere with your body's ability to absorb your medication, and sugar is total hormone Fu@k (please pardon my Jersey). Eating clean and following this program has helped me with brain fog, body aches, depression, weight fluctuation (my weight is stable after years of fluctuating) I sleep well, and my thyroid levels are more stable. It's been a slow process, but i continue to get better every day.

It is my opinion that this program could be very helpful, but you may need more than 30 days. I wish you well and I hope you begin to feel better soon. :-)

Lisa

Lisa

I had my thyroidectomy in 2006 - Hashimoto's, pre-cancerous cells, etc. It took a couple of years to balance my Synthroid dose (and it still needs tweaking sometimes). My doctors basically told me I'd never feel "great" again and that losing weight was laughable due to no thyroid and other autoimmune diseases.

If you can, try and stick to the Whole 30 AI Plan while you fiddle with the Synthroid. You'll be able to tell if a food works for you or not regardless of meds. Like Lisa said, it may take longer than the 30. Hang in there and feel better!!!

• 3 months later...

Archived