Started today - nervous after failed previous attempt

GinaJ

Hi all! 

Starting a new Whole30 today and am nervous ... last time I tried this, two years ago, I failed. I had to give up after days of feeling shaky (to the point it was impacting my work) and having major GI issues. But it looks like the rules have changed now, allowing all fruit (though in moderation) and white potatoes. Giving this another shot but allowing myself more "grace" to snack a bit, especially in the beginning as my body adjusts. Also going to really focus on my portion sizes as I suspect I wasn't eating enough before. 

Anyone else starting their journey today? Looking for words of encouragement! 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, GinaJ said:

Hi all! 

Starting a new Whole30 today and am nervous ... last time I tried this, two years ago, I failed. I had to give up after days of feeling shaky (to the point it was impacting my work) and having major GI issues. But it looks like the rules have changed now, allowing all fruit (though in moderation) and white potatoes. Giving this another shot but allowing myself more "grace" to snack a bit, especially in the beginning as my body adjusts. Also going to really focus on my portion sizes as I suspect I wasn't eating enough before. 

Anyone else starting their journey today? Looking for words of encouragement! 

Welcome back!

A couple things - first, fruit was always allowed in moderation and recommended to be eaten with a meal and not as a snack on it's own.  Second, if you were feeling that shaky, it's likely you weren't eating enough so before it gets that bad again (if it does), definitely check in here and we can help with your meal composition.  It's recommended to make 3 meals a day matching the template (linked in my signature below) eaten around 4-5 hours apart.  If you need to snack until you get the meal composition right to get you 4-5 hours between meals or for whatever reason your context means that you have to go more between meals, feel free to snack but we recommend making that fat and protein, not fruit, nuts, dried fruit or other mindless hand to mouth snacking.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

I absolutely crashed the evening of Day #1. Jury still out on if that has anything to do with this plan but ... on Day #3 and feeling much better. I've realized my body NEEDS carbs in the morning, but not so much in the afternoon or evening. So I've been eating accordingly. So far, so good. 

Archived