AIP day one tomorrow 8 April 19

Pipi

It's a beautiful autumn Sunday in Melbourne (Australia) and I am on a tram slightly fixated on my last cappuccino for the next 30+ days.

tomorrow I launch myself into the Auto Immune Protocol (whole 30 with few less things). I'm feeling pretty ready and actually quite excited.

I have has anaphylaxis for nearly 40 years so familiar with food restrictions and have done whole 30 a couple of times but I have never been truely systematic about reintroducing foods - and have eventually found myself back at eating in a haphazard way.

This time I have been strongly encouraged by a recent bout of sickness to get on top of my diet. I want to know how well I can be if I genuinely manage my diet. I have some autoimmune joint fatigue thing going on which I may need to accept as ongoing condition but I really really don't want to until I know I've done everything I can do.

as well as diet I've committed to 30 mins exercise a day, taking prescribed supplements daily, good sleep, and regular relaxation 

from my rough calculations it will take about four months to methodically reintroduce foods. I'm hoping to be sorted by spring!

in the mean time eating and drinking and coffee are huge part of my social life so I'm making plans for recreation that involves art, film and nature

4 hours ago, Pipi said:

It's a beautiful autumn Sunday in Melbourne (Australia) and I am on a tram slightly fixated on my last cappuccino for the next 30+ days.

tomorrow I launch myself into the Auto Immune Protocol (whole 30 with few less things). I'm feeling pretty ready and actually quite excited.

I have has anaphylaxis for nearly 40 years so familiar with food restrictions and have done whole 30 a couple of times but I have never been truely systematic about reintroducing foods - and have eventually found myself back at eating in a haphazard way.

This time I have been strongly encouraged by a recent bout of sickness to get on top of my diet. I want to know how well I can be if I genuinely manage my diet. I have some autoimmune joint fatigue thing going on which I may need to accept as ongoing condition but I really really don't want to until I know I've done everything I can do.

as well as diet I've committed to 30 mins exercise a day, taking prescribed supplements daily, good sleep, and regular relaxation 

from my rough calculations it will take about four months to methodically reintroduce foods. I'm hoping to be sorted by spring!

in the mean time eating and drinking and coffee are huge part of my social life so I'm making plans for recreation that involves art, film and nature

Hey there from New Zealand!  

Thanks for sharing ... I'm excited for you!!  Good food, good sleep, regular relaxation, regular exercise ... sounds perfect doesn't it   

The systematic reintroduction of foods following Whole30 has been instrumental in me being able to live my food freedom and I wish you the very best of luck on your journey :-)

Thanks for your well wishes!

do you have any advice/experience to share about reintroduction?

i have so many things to trial it feels like it will take a lifetime! From reading bits and pieces it seems like allowing 4 days to test impact of each food should be enough - what do you think?

Dai 1

turkey, Kumera & zucchini rissoles

chicken, pumpkins & leek soup 

salad & 1/4 avo

orange

porterhouse, roasted kumera & fried mushrooms with spring onions

no exercise :(

Supplements taken (yay me!)

woke up feeling under the weather - probably from the weird shite I'd eaten on final day. I know! it's such a rookie era

had a 2 hour commute to work because my bloody city is reinventing the train network

all in all mediocre day but food was okay

part of the AIP protocol is no pepper, tomatoes, chilli etc so I spent several minutes hunting for pepper only to remember it's in the bin :( super sad face... I swear it's the lack of spices on AIP that's going to be hardest part

W30 #2 Day 1 for me today too.

I just arrived back in Canada after 9 weeks in Adelaide and, like everyone after 35 hours travel with ridiculous delays (looking at you Vancouver airport), I couldn't tell you what end is up so, Day 1 is super easy - so far all I've eaten today is an apple and some grapes even though it's 3:45PM here. That's alright, she'll be sorted in no time.

I did an alright reintroduction last time but, after 7 weeks of trying to work around my hosts' diets (carb heavy...), I went to visit friends in Melbourne and threw everything out the window. I suspect part of that was knowing I was coming home and starting back on W30 immediately and part was knowing that I wasn't in charge of when or where or what I'd eat. I do know that W30 hasn't quelled my distaste for shop made sandwiches (YUCK!) 

I had no trouble with my W37 that ended a week after I arrived in Adelaide - reintroduction was useless - this time I will be more structured with my reintro. I don't anticipate any challenges getting back on the W30 train - I'm doing it alone this time (I think... I suggested that my BFF join me but haven't heard anything if she is or not - will check tomorrow.) but I'm okay with doing it alone. I really enjoyed the dietary restrictions last time - limited choice makes choice easier for me.

Alright @Pipi, let's do this thing!

Dai 1

salad & 1/4 avo

orange

woke up feeling under the weather - probably from the weird shite I'd eaten on final day. I know! it's such a rookie era

had a 2 hour commute to work because my bloody city is reinventing the train network

part of the AIP protocol is no pepper, tomatoes, chilli etc so I spent several minutes hunting for pepper only to remember it's in the bin :( super sad face... I swear it's the lack of spices on AIP that's going to be hardest part

Hey @Lorna from Canada and @mywholelife___

How are you both doing?

my day two was okay but I feel a bit like some nutty squirrel animal carrying a winters worth of food around with me! I left the house with enough vegetables to feed a tiny army and ended up with a stack of empty Tupperware on my desk - and still hungry!

the last time I did this it was around day ten I crossed over to feeling relatively full - so I guess I just have to wait it out I

Lorna I get what you are saying about limited choice - I've thrown out or given away everything that's noncompliant so I know I can eat whatever's in my kitchen and nothing else. Makes it pretty simple :)

for my tecord day 2:

turkey rissoles

orange

chocken soup

salad 

chicken & kumera

fish, spinach, zucchini 

On 4/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, Pipi said:

Thanks for your well wishes!

do you have any advice/experience to share about reintroduction?

i have so many things to trial it feels like it will take a lifetime! From reading bits and pieces it seems like allowing 4 days to test impact of each food should be enough - what do you think?

Hey,

Sorry for the delayed response, just catching up :)

All I can recommend for your re-intro is to take it slowly.  It truly is worth it, although at times can be frustrating because you just kinda wanna know!!  

I guess it can feel like it will take a lifetime, but really once you know the foods that work for you (and more importantly what doesn't) then that is your life ... assessing whether particular foods are 'worth it' to you.

I don't do well with Gluten & Dairy ... Gluten is not worth it to me, however on occasion Dairy would be (hello blue cheese!!) - I know I will have itchy patches on my stomach, and unsettled stomach but as long as i know this in advance I'm making a conscious informed decision when I'm eating it.  Back in the day before I found Food Freedom I would literally eat the Blue Cheese and then think "well now I've eaten that, I might as well have ......."  but the key to my Food Freedom is, have the 'thing' (blue cheese or whatever) check I'm enjoying it (is it STILL worth it) and then if I am appreciate and enjoy it.  Once finished that is it and back to my normal way of eating.

The guideline/recommendation is 2 days but 4 days would work too if you wanted that time for any delayed reactions.

Helen xx

On 4/9/2019 at 12:14 AM, Pipi said:

Dai 1

salad & 1/4 avo

orange

Hahaha "weird shite I'd eaten on final day" you aren't the first person to do that and you won't be the last :)

On 4/9/2019 at 7:58 AM, Lorna from Canada said:

W30 #2 Day 1 for me today too.

I just arrived back in Canada after 9 weeks in Adelaide and, like everyone after 35 hours travel with ridiculous delays (looking at you Vancouver airport), I couldn't tell you what end is up so, Day 1 is super easy - so far all I've eaten today is an apple and some grapes even though it's 3:45PM here. That's alright, she'll be sorted in no time.

I did an alright reintroduction last time but, after 7 weeks of trying to work around my hosts' diets (carb heavy...), I went to visit friends in Melbourne and threw everything out the window. I suspect part of that was knowing I was coming home and starting back on W30 immediately and part was knowing that I wasn't in charge of when or where or what I'd eat. I do know that W30 hasn't quelled my distaste for shop made sandwiches (YUCK!) 

I had no trouble with my W37 that ended a week after I arrived in Adelaide - reintroduction was useless - this time I will be more structured with my reintro. I don't anticipate any challenges getting back on the W30 train - I'm doing it alone this time (I think... I suggested that my BFF join me but haven't heard anything if she is or not - will check tomorrow.) but I'm okay with doing it alone. I really enjoyed the dietary restrictions last time - limited choice makes choice easier for me.

Alright @Pipi, let's do this thing!

Yay!!  This is awesome, I'm looking forward to following your journey :)

On 4/10/2019 at 12:11 AM, Pipi said:

Hey @Lorna from Canada and @mywholelife___

How are you both doing?

my day two was okay but I feel a bit like some nutty squirrel animal carrying a winters worth of food around with me! I left the house with enough vegetables to feed a tiny army and ended up with a stack of empty Tupperware on my desk - and still hungry!

the last time I did this it was around day ten I crossed over to feeling relatively full - so I guess I just have to wait it out I

Lorna I get what you are saying about limited choice - I've thrown out or given away everything that's noncompliant so I know I can eat whatever's in my kitchen and nothing else. Makes it pretty simple :)

for my tecord day 2:

turkey rissoles

orange

chocken soup

salad 

chicken & kumera

fish, spinach, zucchini 

I'm like this, I even take food in my suitcase when I travel with work!!

Make sure you're eating enough to keep the hunger at bay :)

On 4/14/2019 at 3:36 PM, mywholelife___ said:

Hey,

Sorry for the delayed response, just catching up :)

All I can recommend for your re-intro is to take it slowly.  It truly is worth it, although at times can be frustrating because you just kinda wanna know!!  

I guess it can feel like it will take a lifetime, but really once you know the foods that work for you (and more importantly what doesn't) then that is your life ... assessing whether particular foods are 'worth it' to you.

I don't do well with Gluten & Dairy ... Gluten is not worth it to me, however on occasion Dairy would be (hello blue cheese!!) - I know I will have itchy patches on my stomach, and unsettled stomach but as long as i know this in advance I'm making a conscious informed decision when I'm eating it.  Back in the day before I found Food Freedom I would literally eat the Blue Cheese and then think "well now I've eaten that, I might as well have ......."  but the key to my Food Freedom is, have the 'thing' (blue cheese or whatever) check I'm enjoying it (is it STILL worth it) and then if I am appreciate and enjoy it.  Once finished that is it and back to my normal way of eating.

The guideline/recommendation is 2 days but 4 days would work too if you wanted that time for any delayed reactions.

Helen xx

Funnily enough my rheumatologist gave similar advice - basically to ignore suggested reintroduction schedule and trial food I most miss first but to do it slowly

i have always had a restricted diet because of broad allergies but I'm missing something so in some ways reacting to a reintroduced food would be a good thing - just hope it's not coffee or eggs!

12 hours ago, Pipi said:

Funnily enough my rheumatologist gave similar advice - basically to ignore suggested reintroduction schedule and trial food I most miss first but to do it slowly

i have always had a restricted diet because of broad allergies but I'm missing something so in some ways reacting to a reintroduced food would be a good thing - just hope it's not coffee or eggs!

Yeah I get what you mean!!  Oh please not coffee and eggs :unsure:

It's a good way to approach it and you're not coming in 'cold' you already know how food can affect you so introducing what you are missing first is a good way to go ... you might not want to introduce certain things back in (after my last round which I finished about a month ago I still haven't introduced legumes ... I'll take the slow roll approach with that and maybe eat some hummus one day but it's not important to me)

I also think it's good to 'fine tune' which is basically what you're doing ... I have been in quiet denial for some time around nuts, they don't do me any good and I know my stomach is upset after eating them ... they are obviously Whole30 compliant but that doesn't mean they don't cause problems (along with nightshades for some, etc) so the more 'noise' you can get rid of enables you to truly experiment FOR YOU, everyone is bio-individual so once you crack this it will be AWESOME!!

xx

Hi, I started on April 8th too. I am just now joining the forum. I thought I could do this alone, but I can see I need to be a part of the whole to get the real benefits of staying strong, smart and focused during my Whole30 journey. I’ve been on it for 9 complete days and I finally am starting to feel healthier with more energy and less bloating. It was rough for a number of these 9 days, but I stuck to the plan. I’m glad to be part of the forum here. I love reading everyone’s stories. My impetus to get started on the Whole30 was chronic inflammation and pain and a recent “pre-diabetic” scare during my annual physical. My joints feel better already after 9 days so I feel encouraged. I’m not sure how all these eggs will be okay for my cholesterol, but I’m keeping the faith in the overall scheme of things for Whole30, it’ll be okay. 

Claire from Atlanta 

On 4/18/2019 at 2:24 AM, Photog7 said:

Hi, I started on April 8th too. I am just now joining the forum. I thought I could do this alone, but I can see I need to be a part of the whole to get the real benefits of staying strong, smart and focused during my Whole30 journey. I’ve been on it for 9 complete days and I finally am starting to feel healthier with more energy and less bloating. It was rough for a number of these 9 days, but I stuck to the plan. I’m glad to be part of the forum here. I love reading everyone’s stories. My impetus to get started on the Whole30 was chronic inflammation and pain and a recent “pre-diabetic” scare during my annual physical. My joints feel better already after 9 days so I feel encouraged. I’m not sure how all these eggs will be okay for my cholesterol, but I’m keeping the faith in the overall scheme of things for Whole30, it’ll be okay. 

Claire from Atlanta 

Hi Claire,

Well done you for reaching out for the support, we are all here for you :)

I love hearing how you have seen improvements already in just the 9 days ... imagine how you will be feeling at Day 30 and beyond once you work out what was causing the issues in the first place!

If you are wanting to cut down on eggs there are many 'Egg Free Whole30 Breakfast Ideas' that you can search for in google.  I personally don't worry too much about the eggs ... I think that if eggs is the worst part of the 'diet' then we're doing okay :)

You got this!!  x

Hey @Pipi @mywholelife___ @Photog7

For some reason I am not being notified that you tagged me - sorry for the delayed response.

Well, after noshing my way through a giant tub of baba ganoush that was laced with chickpeas over my first 7 days (I read the label but am blaming jet lag for not seeing the word right up front - erg), I abandoned W30 v2 last week. I went to a work event in the US and ate all the things - made myself thoroughly ill then restarted on Friday April 19th so, here I am on Day 4 of W30 v2.1. 

One thing that I am aware of after 2 EATT events (both work related where no expense is spared on food) - I eat beautifully on W30 but, the minute I give myself permission to go off, I go off like a crazy person. In one day I ate 2 peanut laced, chocolate covered energy bars + 2 HUGE chocolate cupcakes + a giant serving of creme brule. Basically, I go so far off the rails that I have a 20 car pile up behind me. This last time last week was really interesting because I felt like I was both really aware of my behaviour and some of the drivers behind it while it was happening - didn't stop it mind you - I guess that's next. I felt TERRIBLE afterwards and for days. So glad to be restarting a W30 within 24hours of derailing. I have never been one to do moderation well but this needs to be figured out if FFF is to happen.

On to Day 4 - so far it's been fried food heavy (we were house bound most of the weekend due to heavy rain) so my goal tis week is to lighten it up. If nothing else, I get tired of cleaning the stove top :) I find the W30 dietary restrictions very calming - I think there's a giant link between general anxiety and my derailed eating. Hmmm.

Hope you guys are all doing well. You'll be further ahead than me now but that's quite okay - I'll muddle along. 

Archived