Day 3- Nausea and Upset Stomach

Hello!

I am on Day 3 of my first round of Whole30. While I have yet to have the "hangover" feeling or any headaches, I have found that after lunch now I am nauseated and stuck in the restroom. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did this last? Any tips, tricks, etc?

• Moderators

If this is a big change from how you were eating before, it might just take a little time for your body to adjust.

Have you eaten the same thing each day for lunch? Is it possible that there's something that you're eating that just isn't working for you? 

Yes, I agree that it might take some time for your body to adjust.  I'm not a medical professional, so I hesitate to comment on specific symptoms.  Are you eating significantly more healthy fats than you were prior to Whole30?  I've had a few clients that have had some digestive issues early on in their round because they were incorporating much more fat into their diet and it took a bit for their digestive system to catch up.

There was a great article on the Whole30 website a couple of years ago detailing what is "normal" to experience during the Whole30.  Hope this helps!

https://whole30.com/2016/06/is-this-normal/

Kate

I’m having the same problems too. Day 3, also had coffee + Lara bar and apple for breakfast.

Lunch was salad with fruit, veggies, almonds and a vinaigrette. 

Dinner was spaghetti squash garlic noodles with zucchini, carrots, red bell pepper, cashews and a sauce.

My stomach hurts after eating!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Kddouglas said:

Today's meals...

AM: Coffee and Unsweeted Almond milk, Lara Bar

Lunch: (leftover dinner from Monday) Ground turkey, peppers, tomatoes in a tomato past - felt like I had to force this down. Grapes and cashews.

I realize you're saying this starts after lunch, but to get the best results, you really need to make all your meals meet the meal template, even breakfast. Lara bars are really for emergencies, they're as close to a candy bar as you can get on Whole30. Eat a full meal, or as close to it as you can get, within an hour of getting up in the morning. Have coffee with or after your breakfast, not before, as coffee can be an appetite suppressant which you really don't need, especially first thing in the morning. (Meal template is available here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)

As for lunch, why did this feel like something you had to force down? Do you think the tomatoes and peppers may have contributed to the nausea after? (They sometimes upset my stomach, not normal but not unheard of, which is why I ask.) Is this more food in general than you're used to eating, or more meat, or more fat? Any of those things might cause some stomach upset -- it might be that you can start with smaller servings and work your way up to template meals over the next week or two and avoid the stomach issues. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Allie Ward said:

I’m having the same problems too. Day 3, also had coffee + Lara bar and apple for breakfast.

Lunch was salad with fruit, veggies, almonds and a vinaigrette. 

Dinner was spaghetti squash garlic noodles with zucchini, carrots, red bell pepper, cashews and a sauce.

My stomach hurts after eating!

Much of what I mentioned in my previous reply applies for you as well. You've had no protein, by Whole30 standards -- nuts count as a fat, not a protein. If you're vegan or vegetarian, you're going to have to figure out what protein sources you intend to use. If you're not vegan or vegetarian, you need to work on making your meals meet the meal template. 

I would also say that eating a lot of nuts (in the larabar, the almonds, and the cashews) can also lead to digestive issues. We'd really recommend keeping nuts and seeds to a single serving, where a serving is as many as you can hold in your closed fist, and preferably not every single day.  

Meal template is available here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

• 5 months later...

I'm having issues with nausea (day 2) too.  I couldn't even stomach my breakfast and am not feeling hungry at all.  For breakfast, I brought a tortilla espanola, green beans with romesco sauce and olives.  This is not too different from what I normally eat (although a lot fancier, haha) - I normally have eggs and veggies of some kind.  I had a little coffee and seltzer to see if that would help but am having trouble forcing down food.  Can this be part of the detox?

Archived