New to Whole30

bethyjean

I work at a weight loss clinic and we recommend Whole30 to our clients. When I did clinical for my nurse practitioner degree, my preceptor stressed the importance of a "whole-food" diet. For the past few years, this topic has continued to pop-up around me.

I have a 9-year-old daughter. About 3-4 years ago she started having vomiting episodes, and we came to believe she was lactose intolerant. The severity of episodes have worsened over the past 6 months. Her pediatrician has diagnosed her with GERD and she did have some improvement in frequency of episodes, but she is still having them despite being essentially dairy-free. 

I am ready to try anything if it will help my daughter get better. Does anyone else have a similar experience? Did Whole30 help you?

• Moderators

I don't have any experience with this, but I would recommend keeping some sort of food diary and also tracking her symptoms, just so you can see if there's any kind of pattern. If you're having her do Whole30, and she's also going to school or doing other activities where she's out of the house with friends, it'll be especially important that she notes if she eats anything you didn't make for her, so be sure you've talked about that. You might be able to get her invested in the process of keeping track of some of this herself. If she has a phone or tablet or something with a camera, a food log could be as simple as a pic of each meal/snack she's eating, and then a note on the phone if she notices she's feeling bad, just noting something like, about an hour after lunch, upset stomach, or whatever. Or she could write it in a journal. 

Archived