Calorie intake on whole 30

David Ransom

I’m entering my 3rd week of whole30 first week was fine gauging by body measurement I was heading in the right direction.   This week however my measurement have increased (especially my stomach).  I’ve stuck to the whole30 regiment very well and last week walked over 32 miles (over 6 days)  while trying to maintain my calorie intake to less than 1200 per day.      Am I doing something wrong,  should I increase my calorie intake to match walking regime?    Also I did not sleep well at all for the most part of 7 nights (I’m not sure is having an impact).

• Moderators

Whole30 doesn't say anything about calorie intake. Instead, there's a meal template that we encourage you to try to follow at each meal, you can download that here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/.

Follow the meal template, have meals that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, add pre and post-workout meals when needed, and drink plenty of water. Try not to pay too much attention to weight or even how your clothes fit just now, but instead think about if you're feeling good and have good energy. 

Hi David, Congrats on being half way through your Whole30! Weight, measurements, and bloated feelings can fluctuate from day to day (especially early in a Whole30 while your gut is healing) so I would advise putting away your scale and measuring tape and looking for other signs that the program is working. These fluctuations are one of the reasons why weighing/measuring is not recommended on Whole30 - but the primary reason is to help you break free from being a slave to the scale. A number showing the gravitational pull of your body does not define your self worth! 

Also I’m not an RD/nutritionist but 1200 calories is really low for an adult person. That number gets tossed around a lot, especially for women looking to lose weight rapidly, as the lowest amount of calories you can consume without being in “starvation mode”. Have you tried not tracking your calories and just eating when you feel hungry and stopping when you’re full? In my experience, I’ve always lost weight and improved body comp on Whole30, without having to count calories. Your brain and stomach also recognize feelings of fullness and will eventually easily self regulate how much you eat when your diet is based in real food (for example, I can only stomach so much steak and potatoes at one sitting but I can easily eat an entire box of Oreos at once without realizing it - that’s why it is called Food with No Brakes). 

Try following the meal template instead of managing food to meet a certain calorie goal and see if that helps! https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Also make sure you’re drinking plenty of water as well! I typically hear that .5 to 1 oz of water per pound of body weight is the optimal goal. 

I hope this helps! 

Hi,  thanks for the guidance,   I’m more or less  counting calorie intake on a daily basis.   For sure though,  I feel a world of difference since I started the whole30.   Muscle fatigue,  joint pain and bloat I suffered from has gone.  I’m walking at a faster pace each day with light jogging thrown into the mix to get my heart rate going.  

I shall persevere and continue on the current path.. 

Archived