Murphsmom's Log

Murphsmom

Day 1

Pain levels being tracked as well as this is one of my primary goals of this program:

Pain level:
legs/knees: 4, achy more than anything, 5-6 in knees when standing, but goes back to a 4

Right thumb/wrist: 8 when moved the wrong way, 2-3 ache all other times

Breakfast:
1 Cup black coffee
4 eggs with 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, cooked in 1TBSP of Ghee

Mid morning, not a snack - just a couple of hours after breakfast:
1 Cup black coffee

Lunch:
tossed salad ( romaine, cucumbers) and balsamic vinegar only
2 eggs, soft boiled

Dinner:
Roast Pork Loin and butternut squash

Day 2 - lesson  learned - 15 min to edit a post.. oops, lol. Now keeping a list of foods eaten on a sticky note.

Pain

level legs/knees - the usual,4-5 when sitting or lying down (trying to stay off my legs this weekend), 6 or so when moving to stand and the first few steps.
thumb/wrist -fewer instense pains, wore the brace i have for this ( Dequervains syndrome) which usually helps it to calm down, mostly a level 2 today, not bad.

I had a rough nights sleep and was up at 5:30.  Dealt with the pain for a few hours and finally took some advil, have some relief now.

I was a little hungrier today, so I ate a little more than originally planned, but not much.  Made homemade mayo for the first time with the immersion blender - holy cow was that a fast process! I'm thrilled as I can kick another sugar added store bought item to the curb for myself and my son. 

Breakfast:
butternut squash/mushroom/3 egg scramble - only ate half
5 blackberries
1 cup coffee 

Mid morning - was focusing on not having a 'snack', but my stomach would not stop growling,even with more water;
handful of grapes, 15 almonds
1 cups coffee

Lunch:
rest of breakfast scramble- 5 blackberries
1 medium white potato with ghee, salt  - I haven't had a simple white potato - baked- in ages. Knowing that they were allowed in Whole30? had to fit one in today, but wont be a common thing - didnt taste as good as i thought it would.
mint tea

Dinner:
roasted herbed beef tips
acorn squash (1/2) and sauteed mushrooms
3 slices roast pork, with homemade mayo, 1 plum tomato,  - I wanted to try the mayo, and i uhmmmm... put the pork roast back int he oven last night to cook a little more.. (after slicing a few pieces off for last nights dinner) and kinda forgot about my poor pork roast. It needs the moisture from the mayo for sure, lol... it's a little overcooked.

I am having a small, 1 cup portion of mango/pineapple in a few minutes  but that will be the last of food for today.

I definitely think that being so familiar with low carb and keto is helpful when starting this program.  I have gone from high sugar and carb intake to none previously. So far I've been good with no dairy ( yeah yeah yeah.. easy to say on day 2.. i know, lol ) and while reading labels is frustrating, I am learning a lot and am going to be make much better choices going forward. No real detox issues, no headache, some mild nausea mid afternoon, but nothing extreme. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is good as well, but if not, I won't be surprised.

Day 3:

Pain level legs/knees.. 1-2!!!!!!!!! Most of today i have been getting up and sitting back down without even thinking of the pain in my knees.  I've had to stand for more than 30 minutes, and while i had some pain.. it wasn't bad. Oh please, oh please, oh please let this be a good sign that this elimination diet is working to reduce inflammation this fast.

Pain level thumb/wrist - about the same, but less sudden sharp pains.

Breakfast: 
3 slices roast pork/ 3 eggs/diced tomatoes
4 kalamata olives
Ghee and a little mayo as i was low on ghee
1 cup coffee

Lunch:
I cup mint tea
sauteed spinach
steak bites
avocado 
ghee

Dinner:

Meatoaf
sauteed mushrooms
plum tomato
mashed potato with ghee and salt
10 almonds
6 blackberries

Day 3 

Pain levels still down.. whooooo hooooooooooo!!! Stairs are still a slight issue.. but overall pain is down!  :)

Breakfast:2 eggs in ghee, leftover meatloaf and potato from last nights dinner.  Ate the eggs and only a few bites of potato/ meatloaf

Lunch:

Sweet potato topped with chicken tossed in homemade mayo and whole30 safe hot sauce
butternut squash with ghee and salt 

Dinner

Sweet potato topped with whole 30 buffalo chicken

coffee and tea here and there thru the day.

I had a class tonight and one of my classmates brought in donuts for everyone,   and i had to sit right next to the 2 boxes for 2.5 hours.. and never even thought of eating one.. well maybe a little, but the reduced pain was worth more than a donut and a restart :)

59 minutes ago, Murphsmom said:

It was great! I got a headache this evening but it might’ve been more sleep deprivation than sugar deprivation. Or maybe both lol. Either way, I fixed my mindset after I read your amazing comment and I am ready to tackle the next 30 days :) 

7 hours ago, CZC said:

It was great! I got a headache this evening but it might’ve been more sleep deprivation than sugar deprivation. Or maybe both lol. Either way, I fixed my mindset after I read your amazing comment and I am ready to tackle the next 30 days :) 

yay!!!  reach out if you need a motivational boost.  This may not be easy.. but will be worth it.

Day 5 - Today I walked to work!!!  I live about a half mile away from my company, and it was a day i was due to be in the office ( i work from home and in the office)  I had some low back pain that radiated down the backs of my legs (all the way thru the calves, it's so frustrating) but it wasnt bad.  Some increased knee pain when getting up from a sitting position, but not terrible and by lunch it had eased.  Walked a little at lunch, then walked home.  this is huge progress for me with this pain i've been dealing with.

breakfast:
eggs with tomato and spinach
the last of the steak bites from the other day

lunch
buffalo chicken on baked sweet potato
plum tomato and tossed greens
whole30 ranch dressing

Dinner:
shredded chicken seasoned with home made taco seasoning - yet another thing i never realized was so darn easy to make. I used a smoked paprika in the blend and i loved the extra smoky flavor it gave the chicken
sauteed (ghee) spinach with taco seasoning
1/2 an avocado

lots and lots of sparkling water ( we have Bevi machines at work so free sparkling water all day long when 'm in the office :)  ), 1 cup coffee and mint tea

i do have a mild headache - sometimes stabbing this afternoon.  nothing crazy.  shortly before lunch i had a weird dizzy spell at work.  I'm not overly concerned.  My body knows i like to do low carb.. i'm sure its just putting up a mild fight about no dairy and no additives or chemicals, lol

Day 6

So, pain levels up a little...most likely from the extra walking yesterday.  

My son is starting to eat more veggies along with me, mild miracle, lol

Breakfast:
Eggs with spinach and tomatoes
Butternut squash sauteed in ghee 

mid morning:
1 apple, yesterday i had a couple of dizzy spells and i realized each time was about 5 hours away from the time i last ate.  So far today, no dizzy spells

Lunch:
sweet potato
taco seasoned chicken ( homemade taco seasoning)
plum tomato
1/2 avocado

Mid afternoon:
1 cup bone broth - homemade

Dinner
2 cups green leaf lettuce
1/2 plum tomato
cucumber slices
pan fried salmon fillet
chimichurri sauce - whole 30/homemade

mint tea

Day 7 - end of week 1

pain levels are ehh. not as good as the other day, but we are having some damp, cold, raw Fall weather so that may be playing a part. I dont expect a miracle cure the first week, I'm happy with the pain reduction I do have.

Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs with sauteed spinach, diced tomatoes
taco seasoned chicken
coffee

mid morning:
10 almonds

lunch:
eggs baked in tomato sauce ( Whole30 compliant sauce)
mango/pineapple chunks
1/2 avocado
Coffee

tons of sparkling water at work today.  24oz bottles (refillable) and a bottle of reg water at lunch

Dinner:
baked chicken thigh
1/4 cup chicken salad
1/2 avocado 
5 kalamata olives

more water (not sparkling :(  lol)

will have a snack of almonds before bed as I was a little dizzy this morning when i was getting ready for work ( I eat after I get ready), and will see if this helps. If not I'll eat some almonds when i first get up.

I'm realizing that even though I think I'm hungry, I'm eating less. I knew that would happen, but didnt expect it in week one.

Day 8

Pain levels staying steady, but still better than when i started. 

Breakfast:
eggs with shredded chicken, squash, and mushrooms
coffee - black

mid morning:
coffee with nutpods

lunch:
Tossed salad
salmon (small piece) 
chimichurri sauce
chicken salad
- yeah.. i usually do leftovers for lunch, lol

Dinner:
half a handful of almonds
2 cups homemade bone broth with mushrooms and green onions

Hiatal hernia has been sore alllllll day and I'm just not up to eating anything for dinner

Day 9

I am converting my 12yr old son, slowly but surely,lol.  He is learning that 2 veggies with dinner is not the end of the world, and  whole foods, not additives or sugar does not mean tasteless! Tonight I made baked salmon cakes and he went back for more.  Added to that he had some of my healthy mayo with it, turned up his nose at the first thought, tried it.. then asked if I was making more ( scraping the sides of the container).  Not bad for 9 days in, lol.

Breakfast:
eggs scrambled with sauteed spinach, diced tomatoes and mushrooms. Seasoned with salt, pepper, onion salt, and dill as I usually do - but also added dried basil.. and that will now be a normal as well. 
coffee w. nutpods.  not really a huge fan of nutpods, just ok to me

small bowl of fruit with coconut cream

Lunch:
eggs fried in ghee
small handful of olives
ghee
avocado

mint tea

Dinner:
oh my yum! ovenbaked salmon cakes, over green leaf lettuce and kalamata olives.  I did not have old bay seasoning, so i used chinese 5 spice:
http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

I had fresh salmon, so i poached that and used that.  However, these were so good that I will pick up canned salmon and canned sweet potatoes to always have on hand to throw this together.  I'm also heading to the health food store bulk section to stock up on a ton of spices this week.  Next time I make this, I will have homemade old bay seasoning.

Sunday is usually a meal prep day for me ( even before whole30).  I have 2 whole chickens defrosting for shredded chicken and bones for more bone broth,  am planning on making more salmon cakes for lunch as well as another dinner this week, have chicken breasts I will defrost tomorrow for lemon chicken, steak for Sunday dinner.... and also am making more ghee and mayo for the week.  

Day 10

My son ate my last salmon cake from last night.. for breakfast!!!! LOL.. Today was a meal prep day so I just made more, lol

Breakfast
eggs/spinach/mushrooms/tomato
coffee.... allllllways coffee

Lunch:
piece of chicken in ghee (small piece)
lemon chicken over cauliflower rice
kalamata olives

mid afternoon - salmon cake - fresh out of the oven

Dinner:
steak with pan roasted potatoes in ghee
sliced cucumbers

mixed fruit with coconut cream

I'm still going strong, just an insane work week and I want nothing to do with a computer by the evening, lol.

Today is Day 16 - just 2 more weeks to go, but other than an occasional, manageable desire for cheese or sour cream, I am doing fine.  

had a potential bump in the road yesterday as I did something to my knee and ended up in orthopedic urgent care for severe pain and a near inability to walk. Fortunately the xrays look normal, swelling was not severe, everything is in place and not moved in any odd spots (ie kneecap) and there is nothing to indicate an issue other than the ligament/tendon that is highly inflammed.  Leg/knee issues were getting better.. sigh. On Tuesday the pain was down to a level 1 for the most part so i'm frustrated.  I had a cortisone shot yesterday, and a better knee brace than the one I got on Amazon a few months ago.  

Last night I could barely walk, and I knew dinner would be an issue.  However meal prep and my 12year old son to the rescue.  He brought me my hard boiled eggs, pre baked acorn squash, salt, pepper and ghee.

The pain is better this morning, I can walk with much less pain, even though I still have a bad limp, and am still being cautious as I've only been up 3 hours or so. I have to go into the office this morning for a special overtime project and am hoping to keep the lowered pain levels as I need to do grocery shopping for food prep tomorrow. If the pain ramps up again I will change those plans.

Archived