Dragonfly's 1st Whole 30+

dragonfly7

Day 1

Took a notion to start mid-day today rather than wait until after I went grocery shopping and prepped food, so I am glad I read these forums and knew a dining out option!

Meal 1: Chipotle - carnitas, lettuce, mild salsa, guac

Snack: broccoli

Meal 2: 1.5 pork loin chops, sweet potato wedges roasted in EVOO, green beans, 1/2 orange

Meal 3: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 avocado, remainder of broccoli and green beans, green tea.

Feeling: Meal 1 was too small and earlier than normal, so I need to either make it larger, eat my meals closer together, or both. Meal 2 was too much food, but I ate it anyway because I suffer from clean plate syndrome. Try just 1/2 sweet potato next time. Meal 3 was good.

Starting Statistics

Weight: 205 lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Measurements: Arm-13.5 in, waist-43.5 in, hips-46 in

Thanks, SarahEmily!

Day 2

Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs, lettuce salad with EVOO, English breakfast tea

Meal 2: beef steak, lettuce salad, salsa, one-half avocado

Meal 3: beef steak, carrots, one-half avocado

Feeling: extremely tired for several hours after I woke up despite the tea. Some tachycardia issues (not new, they come and go) this morning but were gone by this evening. Got a little better after six hours or so. Ate a less overall today and was hungry between meals. Was it increase the protein, then the fat, or the other way around?

Day 3

Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs, small sweet potato cooked in EVOO.

Meal 2: beef steak, riced cauliflower, "sauce" of EVOO and spices, 1 avocado.

Organic chai tea sometime between these 2 meals.

Meal 3: beef steak, riced cauliflower, salsa, olives, and lettuce salad in EVOO.

Feeling: What is this Hangover of which you speak? I am doing a Whole 30 with the hope it will help my mental illness, and "headaches, fatigue, and general malaise" describes how I feel most of the time. I have 3-4 days mid-month when I feel normal. Today felt like those days. I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Despite not being hungry for breakfast at all, I was hungry between meals again. I am definitely not eating enough vegetables.

Food-wise, today was a day of disappointing meals. My potato didn't cook well, and I don't think I will try ricing cauliflower again. Ick. I'm perfectly happy with it plain and raw.

Day 4

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs, broccoli, cauliflower cooked in EVOO

Meal 2: chicken breast, 1 avocado, green beans

Meal 3: pork loin chop, sweet potato roasted in EVOO

Feeling: waking up sweating in the night, hard time falling asleep, groggy for several hours in the morning. Still not eating enough vegetables, but not sure how to vary while still having high quality ones.

Soup is sounding good with the colder weather and starting to get colds.

Day 5

Meal 1: pork loin chop, salad, EVOO

Snack: black olives

Meal 2: steak, sweet potato, broccoli

Meal 3: 3 scrambled eggs, onions, salsa

Feeling: still waking up hot and sweaty overnight despite it being 62 in my house. DH brought home a sinus cold, which is now in full swing.

Day 7

Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs with onion sauteed in EVOO

Meal 2: Chipotle: carnitas, lettuce, mild salsa, guac

Meal 3: lettuce salad w/ EVOO, ground beef and vegetable soup, olives

Feeling: I thought I was done with my gut being upset with me, but that has returned.

Day 8

Meal 1: leftover ground beef and vegetable soup, olives

Meal 2: pork loin chops, salad with EVOO, baked sweet potato

Meal 3: leftover pork chops, green beans, banana

Feeling: Gut problems a bit better. Cold is mostly gone. Terrible cravings for chocolate, or just to carb-load in general. The banana is technically feeding my sugar demon.

Day 10

Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs with mushrooms, spinach, onion, and coconut oil

Meal 2: blackened chicken (cooked in olive oil), sweet potato

Meal 3: ground beef and tomato sauce, spaghetti squash

Feeling: forgot to post yesterday that I felt incredibly happy for no good reason for several hours. I hadn't felt like that in...a long time. When I woke up a little down and cranky this morning, I was afraid I might be rapid cycling, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Back to content now.

Day 12

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs, blackened chicken, spinach, mushrooms, onion, cooked in coconut oil

Meal 2: tilapia, lettuce and spinach salad with EVOO and lemon

Meal 3: 2 scrambled eggs with onion, avocado, sweet potato

Feeling: Woke up feeling KILL ALL THE THINGS! KILL THEM ALL! I'm not normally this grouchy at this point in my cycle, but good grief! It finally dissipated by the end of the day.

I haven't fallen off the wagon, I've just not been logging my food the past few days. I actually had to go back and count because I wasn't sure which day it was! (Day 18, by the way) Having severe allergies and drinking huge amounts of tea. My sleep cycle is all out of whack, and I'm not sure of the best way to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave in to temptation and ate peanut butter last night (Day 28), so I am calling it here. Since I have next to no regular sleep schedule due to mental illness and underemployment, I don't think this improved my mental health as well as it could.

My plan:

1. I will go ahead and do the reintroductions as outlined in ISWF.
  2. I started taking my spouse to work late last week so I have to be up at a certain time every day. If I can resist crawling back into bed when I get home (unlike today), this should help me start getting sleepy and going to bed at a particular time. I am also considering arranging it so my only computer access is to go to the library each morning. Since I need Microsoft Office to do roughly half of my work, I have to be up.
  3. Do another Whole30 from Feb. 15 to Mar. 16.

Measurable Results

Start - End

Weight: 205 lbs- 188 lbs

Upper Arm: 13.5 in - 12.5 in

Waist: 43.5 in - 40.5 in

Hip: 46 in - 44.5 in

RBC: High - Normal

Platelet: High - Normal

Also, a bridesmaid's dress that wouldn't zip 6 weeks ago fit just fine this morning. If we were going solely by the CDC's BMI chart, I am 3 lbs away from the line between overweight and obese.

Other Results

1. My mental health is slightly better. I was questioning if my medication needed to be increased when I started my Whole30, but I know by now that I don't need to. I didn't get headaches quite as often, and I haven't been quite as tired all the time. That still varies by day.
  2. My fingernails look significantly better. No more white lines.
  3. I have absurdly dry feet. While not gone, this has improved. Unfortunately, my acne got worse instead of improving.

• 3 weeks later...

My plan to start again on Feb. 15 was derailed due to a death in my family, so today is my new Day 1! However, spending a week and a half with family was apparently what I needed to start a good sleeping schedule.

Start:

Weight: 189 lbs

Upper arm: 12.5 in.

Waist: 40.5 in

Hips: 42.5 in

Thigh: 25 in

Archived