I caved.

Felt extremely discouraged today as I have had diarrhea a lot on this diet. Had wine and popcorn. Feeling upset with myself. Wondering what to do now? Get my mind straight and then try again or just keep plugging away at it. 

• Moderators

I'm sorry you're not feeling great. 

I would keep going. If you take a break, it may be harder to get going again, so for now, just go back to whole30 tomorrow and keep going until you've got 30 days in a row, and then do reintroductions. 

As far as the diarrhea, sometimes this happens early on and then corrects itself, or sometimes it's a sign that something you're eating doesn't agree with you. If whole30 is a big change from how you ate before, and you're only a week or so in, it might just be your body reacting to the change in how you're eating. It may stop on own.

If you don't think that's it, be sure you're not eating too many nuts or seeds, as those cause digestive issues for many people. If there's something you never ate before or rarely ate before that you're eating regularly now, see if you can not have that or at least cut way back on it for a while and see if that helps. You could also go to bland foods for a day or two and see if that helps -- things like baked potatoes or sweet potatoes with olive oil or ghee and salt; grilled, baked, or boiled chicken with just salt and pepper; bananas or unsweetened applesauce.  Ginger or peppermint tea might help as well.

Some people find things like kombucha, sauerkraut and other fermented foods, probiotic supplements, or drinking beef or chicken broth helps with various digestive issues, although they're more a longterm solution, they probably won't provide immediate results. If you need to, it's ok to take medication like Imodium. 

Archived