Keeping Freshly Sliced Peaches from Turning Brown

ckargo

One of my FAVORITE summer foods is fresh, peeled & sliced South GA peaches - YUM!  I tend to peel and cut them up in batches (because kinda like avocados, they tend to ripen all at once). When I'm on a Whole30, I don't have a good method to prevent them from browning until I can eat them.  I tried squeezing a lemon over them, and that maybe worked for a day, but changed the flavor of the peaches.  When I'm not on a W30, I use whipped cream or sugar to prevent browning, but that's not allowed when I'm on one.  I looked into using "Fresh Fruit" but it seems that it contains dextrose.  I'm a fairly experienced Whole30-er (6-7 under my belt), but this is stumping me.  Any suggestions from the community??

Like avocados, buy them in various stages of ripeness. Get a couple that are slightly softer and some that are a little harder...the harder ones will ripen later than the ones that were a little softer when you bought them. 

Peaches also freeze and thaw pretty well. 

I'm buying the peaches by the case from the farm, so I don't get to choose the stage of ripeness of each peach - in general, some are going to ripen faster than others, but there are enough that ripen at the same time that I'm trying to keep from browning once I slice them so that we can eat them fresh.  I'm trying to find a way to keep them fresher longer after I've sliced them up.  There are non-Whole30 ways to do it, but I'm hoping someone from the community may have found a solution that I don't have.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:51 PM, ckargo said:

I'm buying the peaches by the case from the farm, so I don't get to choose the stage of ripeness of each peach - in general, some are going to ripen faster than others, but there are enough that ripen at the same time that I'm trying to keep from browning once I slice them so that we can eat them fresh.  I'm trying to find a way to keep them fresher longer after I've sliced them up.  There are non-Whole30 ways to do it, but I'm hoping someone from the community may have found a solution that I don't have.

Okay...well, it wasn't clear that you were buying them by the case. 

For Whole30, it's going to have to be citrus juice or freezing. Orange juice may work, but it won't keep them from browning for particularly long. Anything else would be based around sugar, like you said. 

Archived