Almond Milk with a Date

Lilliepution

Hi All!

I am sorry if this question has been asked before, I did try to search it.  I promise!

The other night I found a recipe that said it was Whole 30 for Almond milk with a date.  I made my own almond milk with a vanilla pod and added a date.  

The next morning I added it to my coffee (just a tablespoon).  Later I looked at the rules and it said it was not in the spirit of Whole30.  Does that mean I have to start over?

Firstly, this is not a hard rule so you don't have to start over. Dates are compliant, so unless you're using them to recreate baked goods or treats (which is explicitly against the rules), then you haven't broken any rules and don't have to start over. However, it is a recommendation to not use dates to recreate your favorite sugary coffee creamer. 

So I'd look at your context. Do you need something sweet in your coffee in the mornings? Did the almond milk recreate that experience for you? If you're using it as a crutch because you need to make your coffee more sweet or because you need something sweet in the morning, then I'd probably ditch it. If you've been propping up sugar cravings and feel like this might take something away from your program, perhaps start over. If not, I think you're doing just fine and should continue on! 

kribz, thank you so much for the quick reply.  It was really an accident, thinking I was following the rules.  I think I'll just finish the batch and make one without a date in the next batch.  The date was really more for my kids who I am (sort-of) trying to get them onboard with the Whole30 (and they want the sweetness).

Thank you again!  

Archived