Breakfast - How Much is Too Much?

Krystle0806

So far I have been enjoying whole30.  I slipped up during the first week and had to reset my count, not realizing I had eaten dried plantains that had oils not approved (learning pains), and choose to eat a few bites of french fries off my boyfriends plate after we had gotten done with some intense backpacking. But overall I have been staying true. My question in the title refers to my breakfast which i didn't use to eat before but I realized that I love eating breakfast and enjoy making my scramble in the morning. This is what it typically consists of: 

• 2 eggs 
  • loads of veggies (usually some kind of squash or sweet potato, kale, tomatoes, bellpeppers, artichoke hearts, or mushrooms)
  • 4oz piece of lean meat, usually chicken, or salmon
  • TBSP of coconut oil for the pan
  • Often I add a small bowl of fruit, usually berries or right now watermelon

It looks like a lot when I am done, but I can scarf every bite, gleefully. I do workout every day. Usually I do some type of Cardio or HIIT and I often work out twice a day (especially since that is about all I can do out of the house ATM). So I don't feel like I am overeating, but wanted to check with others out there and get some opinions.

Would love to hear some thoughts or suggestions. 

Thanks! 

My first reaction is to tell you to trust your body to answer this question! I realize this is a departure from traditional diet culture where there's supposed to be a one-size-fits-all answer. What I love most about Whole30 is that it's a personal experiment. It acknowledges that everyone is different and tasks you to know your own body and figure it out for yourself. So, how does a meal that size make you feel? Does it keep you full for 4-5 hours between meals? Do you feel lethargic or overly full after a meal that size? Do you feel energized? If your body is having a good reaction, then it's a properly sized meal for you! 

That being said, I am also highly active with mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, and climbing and my breakfasts are often enormous. I'll sometimes eat a whole small sweet potato and a whole small russet potato mixed as a hash, with three eggs and two slices of bacon and a glass of orange juice on the side! And I feel great after eating it! I even tend to lose weight when doing Whole30. 

So yeah, use the Meal Template as a guide and trust your own body to tell you what is right and not right. You will have your own personal context that is not shared by anyone else here on the Forum so nobody can give you a better answer than you can! 

22 hours ago, kirbz said:

So yeah, use the Meal Template as a guide and trust your own body to tell you what is right and not right. You will have your own personal context that is not shared by anyone else here on the Forum so nobody can give you a better answer than you can! 

Thank you for all your advice!! I really appreciate it. You're awesome. 

BTW love wild Zora meals,  best backpacking breakfast and i love that the dinners have so much veggies.  They've been such a treat backpacking. 

Aw you're welcome! I truly wish you the very best! 

And I'm glad you loved the Wild Zora meals! I also love them! The Chicken Caldera Curry is my favorite and I can eat it for two meals a day! LOL. And yes to the veggies! 

Archived