This is a nightmare....

Hi everyone, I'm doing Whole30 for the first time, and I've just finished Day 6.  It has been a really terrible day; I can honestly say I've never in my life felt so unwell.  I've got chills, I'm foggy-headed, and worst of all, I have ZERO energy - I mean, I can't do ANYTHING.  I slept for 12 hours last night, and then had to go back to bed this afternoon for another two hours.  It's 8.28pm and I'm feeling ill I'm so tired.  I've followed the programme to the letter so far, with lots of delicious meals.  I know I'm eating well, but this whole-body fatigue is just a nightmare.  I can't go grocery shopping, do any activities with my young children, and haven't been able to do any housework because I cant put one foot in front of the other. 

All I can think is, why on God's earth would someone want to put themselves through this?  What if it never gets better?  I'm doing Whole30 on the advice of a Functional Medicine Nutritionist, because I have chronic back pain (15 years) and severe IBS. 

I'm hoping to hear this is normal, but I really don't think it can be. 

Any advice or ideas would be most welcome.    

• Moderators

This is not normal. Sometimes people feel a bit tired or have a little headache, but chills, foggy head, and exhaustion to the point you can't function is not something that normally happens on whole30. 

Is it possible you've picked up some kind of illness? That seems the most likely thing to explain these symptoms. 

Food-wise, make sure you're eating enough (1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat or half to a whole avocado or a large handful of olives or other fats listed on the template, and lots of vegetables -- including at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day for most people). Be sure you salt your food and drink plenty of water. 

Archived