Maca?

Jessica Brier Smail

Hello all,

I have searched the Whole 9 site and Forums and couldn't find any entries about this one, so I thought I'd put the question out there. Has anyone used maca powder for any of its purported benefits (ie. fertility, energy, etc.)? Is it paleo/ Whole 30 approved?

I am interested specifically in its fertility benefits as I am recovering from many years of disordered eating and amenorrhea and am now hoping to become pregnant.

Any information, science, personal anecdotes, words of wisdom, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jessica

Maca is considered a root vegetable so it would be W30 approved...I've never used it in any other form than a powder which is how I'm assuming you are going to use it...Pre-W30 I used to put it in smoothies or homemade chocolates...

• 1 month later...

Hi Jessica. I had a terrible experience with maca so be careful! I started taking it after reading it would help with pmt symptoms. It made it 50 times worse and I thought I was going crazy!! I would only take it under supervision of a naturopath and even then be cautious. Jane

I had the opposite reaction to Msjane66. I've been taking a maca supplement for about 3 years now to help with peri-menopause symptoms. I can't be without it. I take 500mg daily and it has helped regulate my cycle, reduce pms and the brain fog that comes with it.

• 9 months later...

Thanks, Andrea. I'm glad to know it would be approved. I am wondering if anyone out there has any information on the possible benefits of taking maca powder? When you used it, Andrea, did you have a specific purpose in mind?

Thanks again!

I've been talking a lot lately about maca root powder and how I think it has helped my skin heal a lot.

• 1 month later...

Just my two cents - I recently tried maca root powder and it definitely helped regulate my cycle and gave me more energy in the morning. However it made me gain about 4lbs (with only around a month of use) and mostly in my abdomen. Not what I was after...so I've stopped taking it since. After doing some research around the web I've since found it is used by some people to gain weight.

I tried it too, briefly, but in capsule form.

I was hoping that it might slow down my hair loss but I felt sleepy in the afternoons - almost in a drugged state. So I gave it up.

I have heard that you need to start with a really small amount and build up the amount as you adapt to it.

• 2 months later...

I used to add maca, either powdered or shredded, to my oatmeal -but that's out now that I'm doing my first Whole 30. I also used to add it to my morning extract (with carrots, celery, beet & ginger), but I'm not doing that anymore since ISWF says it's better to just eat the veggies whole. So this morning I added it (1 tsp, powdered) to a handful of pineapple, blueberries and raspberries that I had as a side to my breakfast (veggie soup & eggs). Loved it.  :D

Archived