Nervous Newbie!

Chaliepud

Hi everyone, hope you are all well this lovely day (well, it is bright and sunny in southern UK! I hope you are having a good day wherever you are. :)

I am in the process of rereading the Whole30 book and deciding whether to take the plunge and would love some thoughts, and maybe encouragement too.

Reasons to start -

I have suffered from headaches and migraine for many years and they are getting worse with age and peri-menopause, I am also struggling with other things including aches and pains, muscle weakness, insomnia, cold and flu type symptoms, especially during migraines. I'll be 50 in May and I would love to feel happier and healthier by then, I can't remember the last tie I felt really well!

History -

I have been Paleo for a long while but wasn't always as strict as I needed to be, particularly with sugar, definitely totally gluten free for a long while though have occasionally used GF products which I know are full of rubbish. I do like a glass of wine now and then too! I take Triptans for migraines and paracetamol and ibuprofen for headaches and muscle aches, but try to keep these to the minimum I can cope with to avoid rebound.

I also have signs of ADD (undiagnosed) which get worse the more poorly I feel though I can keep on top of them in the main, but this obviously takes effort and increases stress levels.

I am at the point where I don't know what else I can do and maybe a reset is what I need, and what will help? The challenge is that I live with my husband and 2, sometimes 3 children (one is at university) and I am the cook. They are used to eating some Paleo type meals and I think I may cope ok with eating differently to them as I've done that before but we will have foods and drinks in the house that I will be tempted by. I am a nightmare for crisps (potato chips), even the dog sits by that drawer when I come into a room as she knows it is opened so often! I can't and won't subject the whole family to the strict regime so it is not worth thinking that is possible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice and encouragement. I know that I need to plan ahead and think of how I can make it work best for me.

Hi, I’m in UK too! 
I’ve been dairy, grain, sugar, food additives etc free for 8 months now, and in that time have done 2 strict 30 days and generally eat paleo (+ wine) all the rest of the time. I think coming from where you are you will adapt quite quickly to the regime. Have you done it before? You say re-reading so I wondered! 
I have 3 kids plus husband who don’t eat this strictly, although our main meal is always the same (they add oven chips or rice etc). Planning is key for me, I do a big cook up on a Sunday where I portion up roast dinners and cook loads of extra veg, plus on a Wednesday usually I prep a few bits to see me to the end of the week (chicken thighs, boiled eggs etc) and I write a really extensive shopping list right down to the last tomato. 

Archived