Hoping for better sleep

petra91

Day 0

Hi, this is my first whole 30. I am at my wits' end regarding the poor quality of my sleep and am hoping that a drastic change to my diet will help. I can't remember the last time I woke up feeling rested. I am always feeling sleep-deprived and end up drinking coffee and eating candy in the afternoons in an effort to feel more awake. I generally feel sluggish and heavy. I will be using this program to motivate myself to give up coffee :wacko: which I anticipate will be the hardest part (I currently drink about 16-24 oz a day). I plan on replacing my morning coffee with green tea to start before gradually shifting to a caffeine-free herbal tea. 

My goals for this program are:

1. improved quality of sleep (no more waking up at 1:00, 3:00, 4:00... &c.)
  2. no more relying on caffeine and sugar to stay awake during the day 
  3. work some exercise into my daily routine
  4. drink more water (aim for 2L / day)

I'm also curious to see if there's any improvement in my skin (I have a couple stubborn eczema patches) and persistent menstrual (AND mid-cycle) cramping. 

I look forward to starting tomorrow :) 

Day 1

BREAKFAST

• garlic-sautéed greens in coconut oil
  • 2 scrambled eggs + salsa

LUNCH

• salad (red leaf lettuce, radicchio, celery, olives, roasted red pepper, vinaigrette)
  • tin of smoked oysters

SNACK

• grapefruit + small handful of nuts
  • coconut water

DINNER

• chicken-vegetable soup

First day no coffee - I felt TERRIBLE and basically napped on and off the entire day. Tired, headache-y, zero motivation to do anything. I had a cup of green tea with breakfast thinking that it would help with the inevitable headaches but I may as well have just gone cold turkey, I felt so lousy. April is gearing up to be a very busy month so I'm really hoping I will be done with the withdrawal process by then, fingers crossed. 

• Moderators

Hi!

I would highly suggest you eat more. Have you seen our template?  It's linked in my signature below. For eggs, when they are the sole source of protein in a meal, we recommend that a serving is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping. That's got to be more than two - some people don't want to eat that many eggs so maybe add some leftover protein from a previous  meal. 

You also don't mention fat with your dinner and I don't see any startchy carbs which we recommend being a fist sized serving at least once a day. You may still feel yucky and the withdrawal from coffee may still suck but you can mitigate it somewhat by eating enough and right now if I only ate what you ate on Day 1, I would want to knife someone... 

Archived