Elevated cholesterol after Whole 30

LDaniel

I completed my Whole30 on Jan 30, 2023. I followed the protocol exactly and had a WONDERFUL month. I loved the food, felt (feel) great, slept well, lost weight and inches, and generally want to eat this way forever.

HOWEVER, one of my main goals was to lower my cholesterol numbers. Instead, my LDL and combined Chol went up significantly, while HDL came down slightly. Side facts: 67 yr old, female, generally healthy but have hereditary high cholesterol. I have never taken statins though this is a continual battle with conventional doctors. 

Could the egg consumption have caused the increase? I ate two a day with lots of veggies, as prescribed. With everything else eliminated, I can't figure out another cause. Any advice?

• Administrators
On 2/8/2023 at 8:57 AM, LDaniel said:

I completed my Whole30 on Jan 30, 2023. I followed the protocol exactly and had a WONDERFUL month. I loved the food, felt (feel) great, slept well, lost weight and inches, and generally want to eat this way forever.

HOWEVER, one of my main goals was to lower my cholesterol numbers. Instead, my LDL and combined Chol went up significantly, while HDL came down slightly. Side facts: 67 yr old, female, generally healthy but have hereditary high cholesterol. I have never taken statins though this is a continual battle with conventional doctors. 

Could the egg consumption have caused the increase? I ate two a day with lots of veggies, as prescribed. With everything else eliminated, I can't figure out another cause. Any advice?

Hi there, we aren't doctors so we cannot comment on your specific concerns from a medical perspective - if you are concerned, please see your doctor. However - if you've lost any weight on the program, when fat is metabolized it releases stored cholesterol into the bloodstream and that can temporarily raise the blood cholesterol levels. 

Thank you for this possible, and plausible, idea for the uptick in my numbers! I have also learned that as our bodies detox, our livers are working overtime and more cholesterol can be created temporarily, as a response. This probably goes hand in hand with your suggestion and both give me confidence to continue with a Whole30 approach to eating. Again, thank you so much!