Lack of carbs postworkout?

Zjk

Hello,

I'm lifting weights for quite some time. All this time I was sure you need carbs, specially after workout, when your liver is depleted. I do realize that majority here wants to lose weight, and this should be partially reason why you are insisting on protein-based postworkout meal. But what if I'm gaining weight? I do understand concept of free fatty acid metabolism, however I've got fast twitch fiber to think about, which doesn't really utilize them properly. So should I consume 70-100 g fructose afterwards? Could you explain the reason behind or link to needed literature if not?

• Moderators

Reading It Starts With Food is the best way to get a good orientation to how different foods work in the body and to understand why we recommend certain foods at certain times. In brief, your muscles get hungry during strength workouts and are especially open to nourishment for 15 to 30 minutes after working out. Muscles use protein for repair and growth, so that is essential for post-workout nutrition. Workouts demand a lot of energy, so eating carbs after a workout can replenish energy quickly. The best carbs after a workout are starchy veggies like sweet potato, winter squash, etc.A lean athlete usually needs to replenish energy by eating some carbs. Other active people who need to maintain energy levels may find it useful as well. However, people who are more concerned about losing weight may omit post-workout carbs. They still need the protein for muscle repair and growth, but the carbs are optional. They may suffer a bit in terms of energy levels by omitting carbs, but keeping their body burning fat rather than carbs may be worth it.

Note: I ate protein and carbs post-workout when I first started and lost weight steadily, so omitting carbs is not necessary for weight loss. And many people feel and perform better while eating some carbs.

Archived