I know I'm in "Kill all the Things" phase, but REALLY?????

Hiker Chick

So, here I am, trying to change my life, as I have been suffering from debilitating, un-diagnosed pain for over a year now. I am only on day 5, and to be honest, I have been rather pleasant to my family (Hubby and 4 kids). I have experimented with a few recipes and it is very, VERY hard living in this house cooking for my family, making their lunches, buying and fixing all the food I can't have but would LOVE to.

So, my husband has a huge, fully stocked kitchen to eat anything he darn well pleases. He is a carb-a-holic, and so are my kids. There are chips, crackers, cereal, bagels, tortillas, pasta galore stuffed into our pantry. Our fridge is packed with milk, cheese, hummus, etc that I have to dig through to get to my food.

There are a few tupperware containers in the fridge that are "MY" food. I am still learning on what/how to eat, what to cook, how to cook it. If I find something that I like, I make extra to store so I can be prepared when hunger hits me fast and furious, or when I am so busy taking care of and cooking for the 5 other people in this house that I don't have a chance to cook for myself.

So, this afternoon.... My husband goes into the fridge and opens one of my containers of food and starts to eat my salmon cakes. Mind you, it is labeled with MOM on it, to make sure no one eats it by mistake. I tell him to stop eating my food and he gets all pissy with me! He wants to know why I am not cooking all of these things for him too. He has no interest in giving up carbs and even though he is very supportive of me eating this way, I highly doubt he would change his way of eating. I tried to explain to him that I am only 5 days into this and I am trying some recipes to see how I even like them and I cook extra for me, to have on hand for another meal. I tried to let him know that I am having a rough time fixing all these other foods for him and the kids and I need my foods to fall back on.

I told him "Fine, if you want to eat the way I'm eating, I'll clear all the crap out of the pantry and the fridge and you all can eat everything that I am eating, and if you don't like it, tough."

Fell on deaf ears. He's mad at me and I retreated downstairs with the baby to type this out. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

My boyfriend was initially quite similar but I basically stopped buying the shitty food at the supermarket but he knew he was more than welcome to have it if he went to buy it himself.... Laziness prevailed and there is no shitty food in the house. I did used to make paleo dinners and then just do additional potatoes or rice for him but that eventually petered out too as he found he could live without them. I also loaded the freezer so full with meat etc that there was no room for icecream. Oh dear how sad.

I imagine your new eating habits have made your husband aware of his own habits and he probably feels a bit demonised. I wish I had more advice but trying to chnage a husband and four kids is a lot harder than changing a boyfriend. Hugs!!

Ugh, I'm with you. If I make food for me when you have your own stuff to eat, please don't eat it! You can eat my food and your food, I can only eat the stuff I make for me which is Whole30 compliant.

And Rara - I love the grocery idea! My husband just put cereal and juice on the grocery list so I think I'll tell him the same thing you told your bf. I'll buy the stuff both of us can eat but if it's something just he wants or I cannot have, he can go get it!

Do you do all of the grocery shopping? Do you cook all of the meals? That's how it is at my sunshine freedom ranch... and for the most part he eats whats in the fridge... which is all whole30 approved. Did he have a fit when I cleared out the cupboards? Absolutely. Does he have snack pack pudding in his truck. Yes. I have asked him to not eat certain things that I have made, which he has been pretty good about... After the dissagreement we had the the other night. Feel free to check out my log, it was pretty intense. But in the end, we talked about how his behavior meade me feel and he seems to be cilling out :) THANK SWEET JESUS!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Yes. I have cordoned off certain food items with the understanding that anyone who wants to give up 100% of all grains, legumes, alcohol, dairy, artificial sweeteners, sugar and soy are WELCOME TO DIG IN!

The other rule is, if in doubt, ASK NAN! Today my stepdaughter came up to me with a container of cold spaghetti and asked me if I had any plans for it. :lol: It's all yours, honey! :D

If I'm doing the shopping and the cooking, I'm in charge of what is in the cart and the cupboards. Don't like it? Cook your own meals. Works pretty well here in my house. They only eat crap once in awhile, and I'm usually not home when that happens so its all good.

Well, all is good in the Hiker house. He apologized and is truly very supportive. I am trying to make some more things for him to try and I am not quite at the "box it all up and give it to the foodbank" yet. I may get there soon enough though.

Thank you for all your support!

Archived