Whole30, Whole45, or Whole60?

If you're doing your first round of Whole30, I'd say go for 30 days and along the way do some reading about reintroduction strategies for after the 30 days. It's a big change for most folks, and it's nice to have a clear beginning and ending.

On the other hand, if you love it and want to continue, there's no reason not to. You could identify a special occasion where you plan to eat something off-plan, and end there (a lot of folks did a WholeSomething before Christmas Day, for instance).

There's no one right answer for everybody, though, and thirty days of clean eating is very eye opening in and of itself. Hope it is going well for you!

After I got to 30 I wasnt ready yet to eat anything that might make me sick so I kept going to 35 and stopped when I had a work dinner on day 36 (I had decided a few days before to have a glass of red wine..... I tried to have compliant food as well but traces of onion and garlic (i'm intolerant) made me quite sick for at least 3 days) so I kept compliant till I felt better - about 6 more days then decided to reintroduce sugar as a 85% chocolate bar.... on the same day I also decided to eat corn chips cooked in vegetable oil and was really unwell again so the next day I started my whole100... and it took 12 days before I felt good again so that tells me I need(ed) more time to heal and also to stay away from corn and vegetable oils (except olive) forever!

Its hard to know whats right for each of us, good idea to conduct some research Ashley :)

Thanks for the input, both of you!

A bit of background for my question.... I'm 5'1'' and 135-40lbs and 23 years old. I'm an endurance athlete, mostly cycling and running, which I love.

I completed a Whole30 after my birthday in June. Previously to that, I had been 80/20 Primal (full-fat dairy) for about three months. I've been gluten-free for five years.

After my first Whole30, I weighed myself and checked my measurements. I only lost 2lbs and about an inch total. I had some acne clear up and cravings diminish, but I was still pretty disappointed in my end results. I went face first into a weekend of glutenous cookies, ice cream, and wine while skimping on my vegetables. I consulted the forum for some advice/encouragement and basically got the answer "Maybe you aren't done yet. Try a Whole45, 60, or 90."

So, here I am on day 20 of 30 and wondering what compells others to keep going.

Juzbo, I definitely understand the ill feeling after eating "used-to-be-normal" foods! Sugar makes me swell like crazy!

AmyS, I was debating going until Valentines Day, but the 99% dark chocolate bar in the cupboard is calling my name. And, my last day at my current job is day 30 (unplanned, funny timing!). It might be nice to celebrate the end of that chapter.

I guess I have a few more days to think it over. Thanks again!

Gah! I hate to see someone so young and healthy worried about weight! This is not a reflection on you, of course - I just hate that all women are told that if we are a certain height we need to be a certain weight. It's a way of telling us to shrink down to invisibility (I can add a longer feminist rant here if you'd like, just let me know. ;) ). Don't be invisible! Eat Whole30 as long as it works for you, and know that your body is young and healthy and still forming itself into its adult state of being. Your energy level sounds awesome! Keep up the good work, really.

Well, thanks. I understand your frustration around the forced body image issues. It's frustrating. For me, it's more about being better at the things I want to do. However, if I did those things more consistently (mostly riding my bike and climbing hills), then my body would even out to be the way it would function best. I guess that's my answer to that!

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have pretty good energy levels!

Well, thanks. I understand your frustration around the forced body image issues. It's frustrating. For me, it's more about being better at the things I want to do. However, if I did those things more consistently (mostly riding my bike and climbing hills), then my body would even out to be the way it would function best. I guess that's my answer to that!

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have pretty good energy levels!

You know, it sounds as if you feel pretty confident in yourself and you know what to do in order to take the next step - consistency in those two areas. Given that, you could think about whether or not you need to extend your Whole30 (or take a day or two break and start again, which is another common option); but it sounds like you know what you want to do next. Climb hills and ride bikes! That sounds totally fun. Whatever you do, have a great time!

Yeah either way it will work for you, no reason why you can't have a day or two off then do another one if you want to test for further improvements. I will add I didn't believe from other posts that even tiny amounts of some non compliant foods take 2-3 weeks for the body to fully recover from but i am a firm believer now! But there's no deadline in any of this. It's hard to tell from limited experience heather your crash was due to self imposed restrictions you didn't really need or because you weren't healed yet... But life never just stops once you've ticked a whole30 box anyway.....

Archived