Chef starting Paleo diet...Im going to need support, but i have a lot to offer as well

Southernwholefood

Hello everyone that reads this,

Im a 32 year old chef in the south. My restaurant is successful and i do keep an open mind about diners that come in with diet restrictions. I have recently focused on learning about Paleo dieting and changing my life style. While most chefs think this is nearly impossible i am willing to try it for 30 days. Follow it very strictly and see what benefits might come from this!

Im not like the average chef. I already eat healthy (for the most part), I am 5'11" 165, and feel good for the most part. However, i know that some of my diet choices are not wise ones and i eat late at night. Sometimes i will go out drinking and eat a big meal at 3 am. This is not the life i want to continue.

What i have, more than most, is the ability to come up with dishes and match flavors and cook in a way to produce excellent results in flavor, technique and style. I know that i could apply this to my everyday diet, but for some reason i always end up eating bread, grains, and fatty meats because they are delicious! I will offer up recipes and help tech technique to anyone who has questions about cooking. Its something i love and i would like to offer my help to those who have committed to this life style to make their meals more interesting! All i ask is for your help in return.

I know it will be a lengthy learning process and i haven't read the first book on paleo. So i will read the forum and learn from everyone on here. I would also appreciate any tips for me just starting out, other websites to further the education and i would love to speak with a Paleo Guru one on one sometime on the phone if someone would be so kind.

I am excited to try and look forward to this experience..

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Welcome! How great to approach a new eating experience with the skills and know-how of a professional chef! A lot of people have their best success reading It Starts with Food before starting their Whole30. That said, they really do tell you everything you need to know to do it here on the site, just see the "Start Here" section in the tabs. The blog posts are also a really great source of information. I just did my first Whole 30 from last September to October. A little off the path over the holidays but back at it now. I discovered Paleo through Robb Wolf, he has a really great website to check out and it's easy to find. I read his book first. Then discovered The Whole9 listening to a podcast of his. I feel better than I ever have with this lifestyle. It's been my experience that posting here on the forum is really helpful. Both a daily log for tracking eating and getting feedback from experienced members and in sharing ideas or asking questions in the various threads. Everyone seems to have a great attitude and you'll make some great friends. Things I think helped during my Whole30: Clean out the house before starting. I'm so glad I did that. I gave foods away that I could and trashed the things I couldn't. I didn't want my efforts derailed in a moment of weakness encountering a piece of chocolate or some ice crean next to my grass fed cow in the freezer. There were a few things (like the alcohol in the pantry) that I don't consume much but didn't get rid of. I just didn't open that cupboard. Eat the fat with the protein, whenever I found myself a bit cranky, it was often related to not getting enough fat the meal before. The Whole30 Daily emails were awesome. I loved them and highly recommend them. The cost is pretty low and the encouragement and ideas on a daily basis were so helpful.

Some great sites with recipe ideas include "theclothesmakethegirl" and "nom nom paleo".

Welcome! How great to approach a new eating experience with the skills and know-how of a professional chef! A lot of people have their best success reading It Starts with Food before starting their Whole30. That said, they really do tell you everything you need to know to do it here on the site, just see the "Start Here" section in the tabs. The blog posts are also a really great source of information. I just did my first Whole 30 from last September to October. A little off the path over the holidays but back at it now. I discovered Paleo through Robb Wolf, he has a really great website to check out and it's easy to find. I read his book first. Then discovered The Whole9 listening to a podcast of his. I feel better than I ever have with this lifestyle. It's been my experience that posting here on the forum is really helpful. Both a daily log for tracking eating and getting feedback from experienced members and in sharing ideas or asking questions in the various threads. Everyone seems to have a great attitude and you'll make some great friends. Things I think helped during my Whole30: Clean out the house before starting. I'm so glad I did that. I gave foods away that I could and trashed the things I couldn't. I didn't want my efforts derailed in a moment of weakness encountering a piece of chocolate or some ice crean next to my grass fed cow in the freezer. There were a few things (like the alcohol in the pantry) that I don't consume much but didn't get rid of. I just didn't open that cupboard. Eat the fat with the protein, whenever I found myself a bit cranky, it was often related to not getting enough fat the meal before. The Whole30 Daily emails were awesome. I loved them and highly recommend them. The cost is pretty low and the encouragement and ideas on a daily basis were so helpful.

Some great sites with recipe ideas include "theclothesmakethegirl" and "nom nom paleo".

So I am thinking that the alcohol might be the most challenging part of this! I have a deep crave for food, but like everything else i need to practice self control. Is any alcohol allowed?

No. No alcohol.

What we eat: moderate amounts of protein (meat: grassfed/pastured if you can get your hands on it; eggs), veggies to your hearts content, fruit (if you're looking to lose weight, not too much fruit), and healthy fats (some nuts like cashews or macadamia nuts, olives, coconut oil and coconut butter and coconut, ghee, olive oil, avocado).

Every meal:

1-2 palm size portions of protein (closer to 1 if you're small and/or inactive, closer to 2 or more if you're a big guy and/or super active)

1-2 tbsp olive or coconut oil; or 1-2 tbsp coconut butter or ghee or nut butter; or 1-2 open handfulls of olives; up to 1 closed handfull of nuts; or 1/2 to 1 whole avocado; or 1/4 to 1/2 can coconut milk; or 1-2 open handfuls of coconut meat/flakes

Fill your plate with veggies, add some fruit to your meal if you prefer.

What we avoid (and you can read all about why in their various "manifestos" on the blog if you don't have the book): all grains (this includes corn and quinoa and amaranth and rice), sugar (that doesn't come to you as an apple or strawberry in it's whole form), dairy, alcohol, legumes. You even avoid meats that have sugar added, there are resources on the site for Whole30-approved bacon without the dread sugar.

For 30 days. No exceptions. Then you experiment, in a planned/controlled fashion with re-introducing one group at a time. And you see how you feel.

Olive oil doesn't heat well (you probably already know that) so I don't saute with it, but I love to use it cold.

Limit nuts in general and there's no need to eat the same type of any food at every meal. Make sure every meal has protein, fat, and carbs (think veggies, although sweet potatoes and winter squash are good here).

The book is super helpful about what to eat--and why! It Starts With Food

Since you are a chef, one of of the things we've learned about eating this way is that it is possible to make such good food that you look forward to your (compliant) food and don't even want the other stuff! Make your own mayo and then use that as a base for lots of yummy sauces (we make a chipotle mayo by adding pepperoni juice and jalepenos, lime-mayo makes a fantastic tuna salad, etc. You can make fantastic soups and stews (right now I'm eating a nice elk and veggie stew we made in the crockpot). Try the cauliflower rice.

I'm certain you will come up with your own fantastic recipes, but here are a few sites to get some ideas:

The Clothes Make the Girl

NomNom Paleo

WholeLife Eating

My fiancé is a fantastic (amateur) cook and occasionally we eat lunch together at his work. His coworkers almost always are envious of our food... which is Whole30 compliant!

Enjoy!

I work as a personal chef and while on the Whole30, have had to taste food that is not Whole30 approved. That's just part of the job and there's no way around it - I work alone, so it's me or no one.

I have followed the Whole30 guidelines to a "T" for all of my meals and snacks, so I feel I am on track.It's not hard to do if you were a pretty healthy eater in the first place. In reading the forums, I eat a lot more than most women, maybe because I'm pretty active. The hardest part has been determining how much food to eat. I still am not eating enough because I've lost weight which I didn't want to do.

Olive oil doesn't heat well (you probably already know that) so I don't saute with it, but I love to use it cold.

Limit nuts in general and there's no need to eat the same type of any food at every meal. Make sure every meal has protein, fat, and carbs (think veggies, although sweet potatoes and winter squash are good here).

The book is super helpful about what to eat--and why! It Starts With Food

Since you are a chef, one of of the things we've learned about eating this way is that it is possible to make such good food that you look forward to your (compliant) food and don't even want the other stuff! Make your own mayo and then use that as a base for lots of yummy sauces (we make a chipotle mayo by adding pepperoni juice and jalepenos, lime-mayo makes a fantastic tuna salad, etc. You can make fantastic soups and stews (right now I'm eating a nice elk and veggie stew we made in the crockpot). Try the cauliflower rice.

I'm certain you will come up with your own fantastic recipes, but here are a few sites to get some ideas:

The Clothes Make the Girl

NomNom Paleo

WholeLife Eating

My fiancé is a fantastic (amateur) cook and occasionally we eat lunch together at his work. His coworkers almost always are envious of our food... which is Whole30 compliant!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the links! very helpful

I'm the opposite of a chef, but I've loved a lot of what I've eaten on the Whole 30. Can't wait to see what delicious stuff you come up with, especially using Southern flavors (I'm in Atlanta). Be sure to load up on ghee: it's the most delicious butter you've ever had, and compliant on the Whole 30! Just promise that when you get through this you add some paleo-friendly items to your restaurant's menu: I miss eating out!

I'm the opposite of a chef, but I've loved a lot of what I've eaten on the Whole 30. Can't wait to see what delicious stuff you come up with, especially using Southern flavors (I'm in Atlanta). Be sure to load up on ghee: it's the most delicious butter you've ever had, and compliant on the Whole 30! Just promise that when you get through this you add some paleo-friendly items to your restaurant's menu: I miss eating out!

A lot of the food on my menu can be whole30 friendly! What restaurants do you like in atlanta?

what do you mean every meal? you eat olives and nuts at every meal? and is there anything wrong with olive oil?

No, you don't have to eat nuts and olives at every meal. You do need to pick 1 fat for each meal. So that could be nuts or olives or coconut cream, etc. Keep in mind that the fats you cook with, unless you're plating everything from the pan, aren't necessarily all the fat you need for the meal.

Ha, well, did I mention I work for Yelp? So yeah, my entire life is pretty much centered around eating at awesome restaurants.

Top spots would have to go to:

Iberian Pig (I can have the huevos con trufa without the cheese and bread)

The Optimist (haven't tried to eat whole30 there yet)

Proof and Provision (I can't go there without getting a cocktail, so no luck yet)

Serpas

The Porter (more for the beer, so I've skipped it this month as well)

One Eared Stag

Glad to see a chef around here! I get a lot of ideas from my sister whose hubby is chef trained. That and all these Paleo websites that are just awesome and have awesome recipes. I'm on day 5 and its been an adjustment since I've got to compile a new list of recipes that are Whole 30 approved AND 7 year old son approved. :) One thing that has helped me in menu planning is a website called http://www.thefoodee.com/ . Maybe it will help you get started so you can create your own dishes.

Archived