I found my farmer!

bonnynancy

Today I ordered my first 1/4 beef from a farm I could drive to in a morning. It is owned by a woman who lives with her elderly father on the farm where she was born and raised her own family. I read numerous online reviews from satisfied customers, some of whom enjoyed visiting the farm.

Her Scottish Highland and Angus herd is raised entirely on 100% grass during the spring, summer and on 100% dried natural grasses and fresh winter grasses during the winter months. She does not feed or administer any oral antibiotics, hormones or steroids to the cattle at any point in their life, they do not use chemicals anywhere on their property, and all of their livestock are non-GMO.

She invited me to come visit the farm any time I like. And also to bring my grandson, let him pet some cows and chase some chickens... Yeah, I'm going to do that. :)

FYI, storage is an issue I will be addressing between now and May when my beef is ready. As for finances, I cannot believe how much money this is going to save me in the long run. The farmer charges $4.00 per pound of hanging weight, and the butcher gets about 50 cents per pound as well. For that I will get a nice assortment of steaks, roasts, ground beef, bones, and organ meats if I want them. At the local specialty grocery, the very same farmer's meat is sold for $7.99 a pound for ground beef, and $20.00 a pound for ribeye steaks. :o:wacko: I could spend a little less at a major chain store for their "natural" and "vegetarian fed" products, but those words don't mean much. I am fairly confident their cows were at least not fed animal by-products or shot full of hormones and antibiotics, but I don't know if they ever saw the outdoors or if they were treated humanely, etc.

Sorry if I sound like I'm on my soapbox. I'm just so thankful and excited.

Archived