AIP whole 30, dealing with extra fussy babes

I'm starting a whole 30 today that is likely going to last a whole lot longer as I am trying to figure out what is causing my baby to be extra fussy. This is baby #4 for me and they have all been somewhat fussy, and none of them have ever slept normally. When #2 was a baby I was vegetarian and using much dairy or wheat, I mostly ate fruit, veggies and rice, he was the least moody baby. Now, I do realize that all babies cry and don't sleep really long periods, this is definitely beyond that and I am at my wits end! The past several years I have followed marksdailyapple and a couple of times have dove right in, I even did a whole30 while preggo with the last babe. Has anyone had any issues with breastfeeding and babies with food allergies/sensitivities that make them fussy/colicky? I'm not of the mind that colic just "happens". Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated

I really feel for you. My first daughter had colic for 13 months! It was terrible. I cut out dairy (I was not paleo at the time) and it did make a noticeable difference but I think another thing that helped was reading Marc Weisbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy CHild". We co-slept for 4 months and then gave this book a shot. I loved co-sleeping but I loved the help this book gave us as well. (I hope I don't get slammed for recommending it here). He speaks a lot about colic and fussy babies. My first DD had it bad.

DD#2 is now 8 months old. I have been 100% paleo since before she was born and she is delightful. I do not attribute this all to diet. I attribute it to diet and knowng about sleep patterns from the start. She did go through a very fussy period around 5 weeks (Dr. Weisbluth says fussiness in all babies peaks around that time, even in non-colicky babies).

We moved to Moscow, Russia when she was 7 weeks old (I do not recommend moving to a foreign country with a newborn!) and we hve been able to establish good sleep habits with her.

I really don't know if any of this helps but I'll say a prayer for you. I know how exhausting this can all be.

Best,

Tricia

One more thing. I forgot---eggs! Right before I got pregnant I found out that i was sensitive to eggs. The one or two times I ate them while nursing baby #2 she got fussy. If you are already paleo you may give an egg elimination a shot.

thank-you! I do have that book and was trying to implement a sleep program for him but during christmas break it all fell to thw wayside when my older boys were home during the day and demanded more of my attention. AIP (auto immune protocol) is without eggs and nightshades. The good news is we are seeing improvements and it's only been 6 days :) He has awake times of more than 5-10 minutes where he is actually happy and content, I am quite sure that there are food sensitivities or allergies for him as a result of the past few days. He also had been putting on weight very, very slowly but in 5 days had put on 4oz. there was a period that he only gained 2oz. over 2 weeks! I think we will try again with Marc Weisbluth's suggestions in a few weeks. I'm just so happy over the improvements I've seen already

I am in the same boat! My usually happy bubs is suddenly very fussy. I know I am/he is sensitive to eggs so I don't have them often, but I think he's reacting because I've, ahem, let the sugar dragon creep back into my life.

Oh well, I know what I have to do. I'm starting the 21DSD tomorrow, followed by a Whole30.

Wish me luck!

Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child saved us. I wish I would have read it sooner and ignored all the bad contrary advice I got.

I was told by our pediatrician that unless there's evidence of a food allergy in their diaper (undigested food, white chalky poo) it's not a food allergy.

I remember reading a study (in the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding) that stated in a small study of babies someone did something like 80% of the babies who had been diagnosed with colic have acid reflux. My girl didn't have colic but boy did she have her fussy days--it was totally the reflux. We put her on Zantac for a few months and it went away on its own.

I know with my first baby - she was showing colic signs - and it turned out that she had a cow milk protein sensitivity. She was exclusively breastfeeding - but the cow milk protein was getting into my breast milk because I was consuming it (primarily through yogurt and cottage cheese). My doctor told me, once I adopted a completely dairy free diet, it could take about 2 weeks for the cow milk protein to get out of my breast milk, and then after that, another 2 weeks for it to get completely out of my daughter's system. As soon as I cut the dairy, and waited a few weeks, she was 100% better. I'm currently pregnant with my second, and planning on keeping all dairy out for the duration of breastfeeding - just to be safe!

Thank-you all for your advice, things are progressing nicely, the past couple nights babe has slept at least 5 straight hours (YAY) but still not much daytime sleep, he has one nap shortly after waking of about 45 minutes on average, he's had this nap for months now other than this sometimes he doesn't sleep until 6:30 or 7pm this makes for a loooooong day with a mostly fussy afternoon, mornings (until 1pm) are now great. Also, he is not gaining weight. Now at almost 3 months he's still only 10lbs and his birth weight was 7 1/2lbs. His weight issues are more of a pressing concern for me at the moment as I don't want his development to be delayed. His suck is very weak during the day and I have no idea what to do, Dr.s and health nurses are not yet pushing for formula but it has been brought up several times.......I've successfully breastfed 3 other children for between 1 and 2 years each, this has not ever been a problem. I've started taking blessed milk thistle and fenugreek capsules with the hopes of increasing my milk supply. Also, has anyone had any experience with the Weston A Price infant formula recipe? I would go this route before commercially available formulas.

Archived