Day 28 - who's with me?!

kitchenwizz

I can't believe that in three days I will have finished the Whole 30 - not that I intend to end it there! I'd love to know how many are at this stage and how your experiences have been. I followed the journey of a few who started the same day as me but they haven't posted for a while......wonder how you're going?

I'm post-menopausal and my cholesterol has been steadily climbing the last few years. I also had a problem with insulin resistance which I'd gotten pretty much under control by almost eliminating sugar and carbs, but I wanted to get that within a healthier range. Don't have more blood tests till May, so I'm hoping that staying as compliant as I can till then will make a big difference, especially to my cholesterol.

I have my sister to thank for telling me about the Whole 30 (while not being pushy). She had great results last year and is doing her second or third W30 now. I read ISWF over the holiday break and it made so much sense....so I started on 1 January.

While I won't say it's been easy - I still haven't had a massive energy surge - I've enjoyed the following changes:

• After sleeping pretty badly the first week, now I sleep like a log most nights (so much so, my husband complains that I snore!)
  • People are commenting that I've lost weight. That was one BIG temptation I had a week ago - to weigh myself (I didn't cave).
  • Skin feels softer and less dry
  • Nails are harder and stronger, with no flaking
  • No need for naps in the afternoon
  • Being able to go 5 or 6 hours between meals without getting shaky and cranky is WONDERFUL!
  • Haven't had to take any sinus medication or painkillers for headaches all month
  • Muscle and joint pain has gradually disappeared

I plan to do the re-introductions from Day 31 and see how I go with those.....I suspect dairy and gluten will give me problems. Then hubby and I are off overseas for a month. I don't know how easy it's going to be in South America to be compliant, but we'll see!

Please let me hear your stories and we can celebrate crossing the finishing line together! :D

Hey Kitchenwizz--hard to believe we really are in the home stretch!

I'm still trying to decide what I want to reintroduce--still trying to decide what I really, really miss! lol

I was 'saying' to SouthernBeth recently that whilst I have not necessarily written every day in our forums here, I've grown to truly value the W30 community. It has been a crazy month at work for me--and I KNOW that the W30 has kept my energy levels in a much better place. I would have been absolutely shattered at this point in the game, and now I find myself simply wondering what's next?

To that end, I really do wonder what's next? I will definitely keep up with the group here--as I figure out how/when/where I go from Day 30!

Hi! Great to hear you've stuck to it, CrazyCow! It's really good to hear that you've managed your month better because you were on W30. Any other benefits besides high energy levels?

As for what next? did you sign up for the Whole30 Daily? Day 27's newsletter had excellent suggestions for where to go from here.... :)

Howdy! I just counted back and sure enough I'm on Day 28! I'm doing a Whole100ish (probably a few days longer since I am going through April 10) so I'm not doing reintroduction yet.

This is my third Whole30 and I'm finding the mental/emotional experience to be more profound than I had expected, more in the forefront of my experience than the food itself, that is. It's been very enlightening, mostly in a positive way - though some insights have been surprising.

My next focus is going to be increasing my level of physical fitness. Looking forward to tap dancing and longer walks with the dog (she's a golden retriever so she is more than OK with that!).

Congrats and have fun with reintroduction!

As for what next? did you sign up for the Whole30 Daily? Day 27's newsletter had excellent suggestions for where to go from here.... :)

This is my third Whole30 and I'm finding the mental/emotional experience to be more profound than I had expected, more in the forefront of my experience than the food itself, that is. It's been very enlightening, mostly in a positive way - though some insights have been surprising.

Hey KW--I do get the W30 Daily and I did see this morning's email--that's what has me thinking! Don't know if I want to stop, drop and roll just yet, or maybe stretch it out a bit longer? We shall see!

AmyS--that is so true what you are saying about your experience with food. When I read in ISWF about your relationship with food changing, I chalked that up to mumbo jumbo stuff that was a bit too new worldy for me. But darned if it's not the real deal! I evaluate and reflect on food in a way I have not ever done. And you're right--it's been enlightening. And maybe I have more to learn yet. That's what I need to take the next few days to decide....

Thanks for your encouragement, Amy! It's good to hear that you learn something new about yourself with each W30. I'm surprised at how well I've been able to resist temptation.....we've had quite a social month, and I've been able to make my favourite desserts for others without indulging. I hope this lasts - I'm determined it will.

Enjoy your tap dancing!

Hey KW--I do get the W30 Daily and I did see this morning's email--that's what has me thinking! Don't know if I want to stop, drop and roll just yet, or maybe stretch it out a bit longer? We shall see!

AmyS--that is so true what you are saying about your experience with food. When I read in ISWF about your relationship with food changing, I chalked that up to mumbo jumbo stuff that was a bit too new worldy for me. But darned if it's not the real deal! I evaluate and reflect on food in a way I have not ever done. And you're right--it's been enlightening. And maybe I have more to learn yet. That's what I need to take the next few days to decide....

I have found, over time, that I have had to give less emotional energy to thinking about food. Pre-Whole30 I spent enormous amounts of time every day worrying about and feeling guilty about food. After a couple of Whole30s, I don't do that. So other things surface, things that worrying about food was masking. So changing my relationship with/thought patterns around food has made room for all sorts of other changes as well. It's been quite surprising.

Thanks for your encouragement, Amy! It's good to hear that you learn something new about yourself with each W30. I'm surprised at how well I've been able to resist temptation.....we've had quite a social month, and I've been able to make my favourite desserts for others without indulging. I hope this lasts - I'm determined it will.

Enjoy your tap dancing!

Yeah, I was surprised about the temptation thing too. It wasn't that I expected to cave in (I did my first Whole30 from Sept. 23-Oct. 23 of this past year, and there's not a lot going on then that requires side-stepping or explaining when one is altering one's eating style). I was really, I think, surprised at how much I liked the food. I still find that surprising. I look forward to eating. The food is just good!

I think I will enjoy tap dancing when I figure it out. Heehee

So, Amy, I'm wondering how you do with temptation when you're NOT on the W30? As one of the newsletters said, it's easier to say 'no' when you're doing W30 because there should be no decision to be made. When you're not on the plan and it's a 'maybe', are you still able to say 'no' a lot of the time, or is it open slather?

Are you going to weigh/measure after your 30 days, or leave it till after your 100?

Well, I've made it to Day 30 and am enjoying my post-workout breakfast of sweet potato hash browns cooked in coconut oil (love that stuff!), mushrooms sauteed in balsamic and plenty of greens. Mmm MMMMM!!!

I've bought prawns to have for lunch today as a treat - I LOVE prawns. May even try the lime-chilli recipe in Well Fed. Haven't cooked a recipe from Well Fed that I haven't liked!

Feeling good. I'm going to re-introduce gluten-containing grains tomorrow, so that'll be interesting.... How is everyone else feeling, who's on their last day?

Feeling good, too! I will be interested to hear how your grains go for you.

As for me, I am not missing anything enough just now to reintroduce. I will step on the scale tomorrow out of idle curiosity, but other than that, I think it will just be business as usual for the moment!

Good on you! I'm really happy for you - congratulations!!! If we didn't have our overseas trip coming up I'd probably just keep going too, but I have JUST enough time to do the reintroductions properly so I can find out what to steer clear of while away. That way I can be in the best possible health to enjoy our holiday!

I had a large slice of sourdough bread with both breakfast and lunch today, and will have pasta for dinner. The bread didn't affect me as I thought it would blood-sugar-wise, but my tummy is certainly full of air! I think one thing the W30 has done for me is bring my insulin/leptin more into line......

I was pretty disappointed when I stepped on the scales this morning - only lost 1.2kg (under 3 pound). That's why I was tempted to weigh myself last week - I felt a lot lighter then, for some reason! My measurements have either stayed the same or are only 1cm less, so I couldn't even be bothered taking 'after' photos. Anyway, I'm focusing on what my hubby said to me: he thinks I've been happier the last month and has noticed my energy levels rise. I certainly enjoy cooking a whole lot more, LOVE the W30/paleo recipes and still have all the pluses I wrote in my first post 3 days ago. So I'll do this thing properly till we go away.

Please let me know how you go, CC! :P

So, Amy, I'm wondering how you do with temptation when you're NOT on the W30? As one of the newsletters said, it's easier to say 'no' when you're doing W30 because there should be no decision to be made. When you're not on the plan and it's a 'maybe', are you still able to say 'no' a lot of the time, or is it open slather?

Are you going to weigh/measure after your 30 days, or leave it till after your 100?

One of the reasons I decided to do the current Whole30 as a Whole100 was because I couldn't get the hang of eating mostly compliant and actually trying to determine which foods are OK for me to reintroduce. I just went back to all the fancy coffee drinks and food with preservatives and all of it. And after I had done two Whole30s, all of that made my body feel hijacked. My plan is to do the Whole100, then make Whole30 compliance my basic pattern of eating, with any off-plan choices made very deliberately. But I realized it will take me 100 days of compliance (at least...) to get to that point.

Also, at this point I'm not that concerned with weights and measurements. The first two Whole30s took me back to my usual adult weight, and I have never been a weigh-er or a measure-er, so - eh. I'm sure that sounds weird to most people, but I just don't weigh or measure much ever, unless it's for a costume for a show, or at the doctor's office.

Well, I've made it to Day 30 and am enjoying my post-workout breakfast of sweet potato hash browns cooked in coconut oil (love that stuff!), mushrooms sauteed in balsamic and plenty of greens. Mmm MMMMM!!!

I've bought prawns to have for lunch today as a treat - I LOVE prawns. May even try the lime-chilli recipe in Well Fed. Haven't cooked a recipe from Well Fed that I haven't liked!

Feeling good. I'm going to re-introduce gluten-containing grains tomorrow, so that'll be interesting.... How is everyone else feeling, who's on their last day?

Congrats on making it through the Whole30!! it's an awesome accomplishment, and all of your successes sound fantastic! I hope your reintroduction goes well and you are able to continue having fun in the kitchen and eating good food. Prawns, yum!

Wow--now that is a proper reaction, isn't it? Guess you can tick that off the list.

Still mulling over what foods. I am thinking soy sauce, edamame and rice will come in the first few rounds, if only to enjoy sushi with my sashimi. I am keenly aware of the sugar in the pickled ginger, the ginger dressing, even the sushi rice. I think when I get to that point, I will make a decision on what sugar I'll have and really enjoy that moment for what it is. And in truth, if soy sauce works for me, I am happy to just stick with sashimi henceforth--but I do like a bit of soy with my massive quantities of wasabi! That said, coconut aminos ROCK (they finally arrived!).

Yeah CC, coconut aminos are yummy! I agree with what you said about sugar, making a conscious decision about what sugar you'll have and just enjoy the moment, with no guilt! Not that I'm going to have any until I've finished all this reintroduction.....Did you weigh yourself and measaure? How did you go?

I did weigh myself, I didn't measure because I hadn't at the start, and I know my actual shape has changed, as so much fits me differently, so hurrah!

Weighing wasn't as remarkable as I thought it might be--it was about 7lbs (I was just over 10 stone or so, and now I am hovering around 9 and 1/2 stone)--but I was not as involved in the exercise portion as I will be in the coming 30 days. SO I will be most interested, regardless of what is reintroduced, to visit the scale in another 30 days, but I have no need to do so before then. I feel good! It's nice, that, isn't it? :D

Woah KW, that's a pretty significant gluten reaction, eh?!

Coconut aminos may have changed my life. I really do much better without soy due to a thyroid condition, but it's hard to get certain flavor profiles in certain dishes without soy sauce. UNTIL COCONUT AMINOS!! Woot!

CC - 7lbs is still pretty good! I get a lot of info/comfort from my sister regarding all of this, since she's my 'expert' on the subject. She said that after she finished her first W30 she kept on losing weight, even though she'd introduced wine and a few other things. So that might happen for us, too. I did exercise while on it, but not as much as I normally do. Do you get your menu inspiration from mainly Well Fed & ISWF, or websites? Can you recommend any?

Amy - Did you do the reintroductions after your other W30s? What reactions did you get?

I am a website junky, because I can fit more in the kitchen and butler's pantry that way than I can with all the cook books! I've promised I would not get rid of any (the dear daughters want them, for some reason--not that I remember the last time they used them!), but I also can't say I use them. ISWF is on my kindle (also on my mac), for reference, but not necessarily for recipes. When I first started down the paleo road, and was my most strict and my most happy (endurance, food, recovery, etc), I learned so much from so many.

So, here's a few not in any order because I LOVE them all, and use them all the time, if for nothing else as a starting point where I spin off:

paleomg.com

civilizedcavemancooking.com

everydaypaleo.com

theclothesmakethegirl.com

elanaspantry.com (careful...this one is SWYPO if you're a baked goods junky)

www.fresh4five.com

I have more, but I don't want to completely overwhelm you...happy reading!! :D

Wow!!! Thanks for that, CC. That gives me plenty to go on.....which I'll do tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow reintroducing dairy - woohoo!!!

Is paleo very different to what we did on the Whole 30?

Tonight should be interesting - going to a friend's place who has his own wood-fired pizza oven and pizza's all there is on offer. They were pretty cool about me bringing my own dinner, I just hope the aroma of sizzling mozzarella isn't my undoing! :wacko:

Archived