Midwife Lecture on Ketones in my Urine

I'm just finishing up my Whole30 tomorrow and am feeling wonderful. I'm planning to continue w30-ing it throughout the end of my pregnancy (10 more weeks!) with the additional restrictions of the autoimmune protocol to work on getting some skin issues cleared up... One Whole30 has not been enough...

Anyway, I had my 30 week prenatal appointment today and my midwife was concerned about the ketones in my urine. It was a medium purple color on the stick. I was a little surprised to see them that high myself considering that I've been eating plenty of fruit, squash, sweet potatoes, etc. (I had 2 bananas at lunch!). She said this was a sign that I am not eating enough calories and that I should eat more even when I'm not hungry. I am eating plenty (this is the first time in my life I've been told to eat MORE! lol!) and I'm not worried about being in ketosis while pregnant because of a little research I've done on the subject. I don't think she was mean about it or anything... her heart was in the right place. I just think she's has a very conventional view of ketosis and in her mind ketosis equals starvation.

I haven't lost weight on my first whole30 (I've gained about 3lbs) but I look and feel leaner for sure so I probably have lost a litte fat... and gained a little baby (a good deal in my book!).

So just wondering if you have any advice on how to deal with my midwife and/or if you have any other thoughts about ketosis during pregnancy... articles and such would also be helpful. :) Thank you!

It seems that traditional obgyns constantly worry that youre gaining too much weight and midwives are more worried about not gaining enough! I would take it with a grain of salt and make sure you're getting plenty of carbs and fats in. Enjoy the remainder of your pregnancy!

Archived