Starting fresh...

lilypad

I think I started my intro post in the wrong field, so I apologize if people already read some of this in the log.

I am currently on Day 9 of the Whole30. I have been fad-dieting for the last 10 years since I started to gain some weight and in the process have gained even more weight. 10 lbs off, 15 lbs on, etc. Yet, I never got off the roller coaster of wanting to lose the weight overnight and all of a sudden be done and then be able to eat an entire cheesecake in one sitting without gaining anything back.

I have had stomach and digestion issues for years, but still never made a huge effort to try to figure out how to fix it and just assumed it was going to be my lot in life.

Reality set in within the last couple years ago though. I had gestational diabetes in my pregnancy and that increases my chance of getting diabetes later in life by a huge margin. When I was pregnant, I got my act together during pregnancy and my sugars were in line 100%, and in looking back, I was basically following the paleo diet, with the exception of a large amount of peanut butter. Amazingly, I felt great - better in my third trimester than I had in a really long time.

Post pregnancy, I stayed pretty good for the first year, but then the bad habits started getting back in and I gained a good amount of weight in the last year. Sadly, that didn't impact me as much as the fact that I woke up one night having indigestion/heartburn so bad that I woulnd't have been surprised to find out it was a heart attack. That was a wake up call for me. The idea that bad choices could make me leave my two year old daughter early woke me up to the fact that I needed to make a huge change.

I started researching and eating more cleaning, but still with whole grain processed foods, and too much of flour and sugar remaining. The more I read, the more things lead to learning about paleo and it made sense to me. I decided to commit for a month and follow the Whole30 completely.

I started last Monday, and I feel so much better already. My heartburn is so much better, and my stomach troubles have already started decreasing. Days 3-4 were really hard and I nearly gave in, but I held firm and am going to try to stick with this for the long haul. I am not weighing myself in for a month to try to make sure that the number on the scale doesn't determine my attitude towards this plan. I tend to binge if things don't go my way, so I don't even want to have that tempation. The only negative is feeling really tired, but I am hoping that resolves itself soon.

Oh, and I forgot to add that my husband thought I was completely crazy to be doing this and for the first whole week I was basically making two dinners at home, but in the last few days he is starting to come around and say that he will just eat what I am eating for dinner...small steps, but I am so hopeful that this becomes a whole family thing!

I hear ya! I hate it that my family is not on board with me. But this is something they would need to have their heart in, for it to work. Ya know? Maybe soon. I just started today and I am staying far from the scale also and for the same reason as you. Good Luck!

Your first couple of paragraphs could have been written by me. Yo-yo dieting, wanting to get to a goal weight so I could just start eating what I want again, stomach problems. All of it. I started last Tuesday, so we're about the same time into our whole 30's. I've been having the same issues--things got really hard and I wanted to give up, and I've been really tired. Anyway, I'm glad you've decided to stick with it--it's hard, but it'll be good for both of us. :)

Thank you Brenda! It is good to know that others are in the same situation! I hope you are doing better and feeling more energized.

Thank you Jeanye. I agree - it is so nice to have a support system, especially when my husband is skeptical about all this.

Thanks for your story, lilypad, and I hope your husband comes around. Mine did after I told him about all the success stories I was reading and how sure I feel that our next baby will be much healthier (and sleep better!!) if we stick with it.

I applaud you for making 2 meals a night! Before my husband came around to paleo I basically told him 'tough luck' if he didn't want to eat what I was cooking. Maybe that's why he came around. :lol:

Archived