hunger of the beast- First trimester!

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on eating during my first trimester. I have been doing Paleo for almost 3 years now (not a piece of grain has touched my mouth). Right now I am about 6 weeks pregnant and I have the hunger of the BEAST!!!! I am finiding it really hard not to eat "grey" area food all the time (date balls have frequented my house a lot lately, chips made in veg oil, etc).

I really dont want to loose control of my eating habits as a result of this new found hunger I am experiencing. Do you have any adivce on things I can keep around to munch on when this is happeneing? I dont know what to do...i am eating enough, and I was eating enough before. I am also drinking more water than usual, so i dont think im dehydrated by any means. But the hunger just wont stop!

Thanks for you help!

I found adding extra fat to my diet helpful with that nagging hunger. Avocado with breakfast (which was three eggs instead of my normal two), soup made with coconut milk for lunch and plenty of butter on my vegetables at dinner, for example. I also added a snack/fourth meal; sardines and an orange was often what I would have. Bone broth with egg yolk was my go-to when I felt like I would eat anything and everything.

I had to eat every two hours during my first trimester, and get up once in the night to eat. You may just have to eat more often and not even worry about that part for the time being. My appetite goes back to normal in the second trimester, so I just adjusted as needed.

Pregnancy is a whole different beast. If you're lucky enough to not have morning sickness, it should be a lot easier to stay paleo. Morning sickness is what usually totally derails people, because then you're just trying to survive! Maybe relax on the perfection, and allow yourself some healthy treats with the intention of doing a Whole30 in your second trimester. Stress is also a big thing in pregnancy so you may need to relax your standards a little to prevent that, too.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've read in my pregnancy books, there are two things that impact our appetites during the first trimester: 1, we take longer to digest everything, and 2, our bodies burn calories faster. Because of that, I'd hypothesize that eating smaller, nutrient-dense meals and snacks more frequently would help keep both hunger and GI issues at bay. I've had some really weird cravings and aversions, but so far my fail-safe snacks have been hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 apples with almond butter, and avocados with seasoned salt. They're all gentle on my tummy, but also satisfying and sustaining.

It's been a few weeks since you've posted -- I'd love to know how your appetite is doing now that you're further along!

Archived