How much tehini?

Star

As far as I'm aware, tehini seems to be W30 compliant...how much is a normal serving of fat for a meal? I water it down and then have like 1/2 cup worth.

Is that OK? Is tehini a better source of fat than nuts? (I'm stuck for fat ideas besides for avo)

• Moderators

The sesame seeds from which tahini is made are Whole30-compliant, but they have a lot of omega 6 fat, so you should eat tahini only occasionally, not as a regular source of fat. I would call occasionally once or twice per week. One half cup of watered down tahini sounds okay or a serving as big as your thumb of full-strength stuff.

When it comes to fat, seeds are generally not great and some nuts are better than others. The best nuts are macadamias, cashews, and hazelnuts. You already know of avocado. I like mine mashed with lime juice and use it as a spread. More good fat choices include olives and olive oil. And then there is coconut. Coconut oil, milk, flakes. I feel like I get a good amount of fat from olives, coconut products, and avocado. Another way to get fat in your meals is to use fatty cuts of meat like sausage, ribeye steak, lamb, chicken thighs, and organ meat like liver, hearts, gizzards. And then there is whole eggs.

Thanks Tom for your thorough explanation! The reason I choose tahini over nuts is because NUTS trigger me off; whereas tahini is harder to over-indulge... But I'm going to try and get more into olives and maybe even dare taste coconut :huh:

Cheerio!

Hi Star! If it helps, I found out that refined coconut oil is not coconutty at all, in terms of flavor. I hate the flavor of coconuts but have been able to use and looooove coconut oil for my whole 30 I just started 3 days ago. So good luck with your coconut adventures. And remember there is also coconut milk (also not coconutty, yippee!). My next step is trying coconut flakes so I can make Melissa's caramelized coconut chips (from her book well fed, totally whole 30 approved). But I am afraid that will definitely have the real coconut taste ;( There's only one way to find out though.

Cheers!

Archived