Whole30 and Better Bike Mojo

jpketz

Since cycling is my main mode of exercise these days, I'm using it as a barometer to measure performance during and post-Whole30. As of today I'm on Day 4 of re-intro.

So I had to share this small victory...

I have a home road course I ride 2-3 times/week (less in winter) that's anywhere from 14 to 22 miles depending on how I configure it. It's just long enough so that in the non-DST months I can get on the road around 3-4 p.m. and make it back before dark. It's hilly, with a few long, steady climbs, corresponding descents and very few sustained flats. So even at my peak fitness, it's a workout, especially when I ride solo ( I go faster when not socializing) :unsure: .

So here's where it gets a little "cycly" so if you don't know bike anatomy, please forgive. Normally, I've been riding for about 15 years and have always been more of a spinner than a pusher. I've had surgery on both knees so I try to avoid the added torque from pushing higher gears, especially on climbs. So I'm slow going up, but will pass you going down.

So during the last several days of my Whole30 I started to noticed an overall increase in energy, which on a bike I can usually sense in the first mile. It's almost like "Hey...I've definitely got the glycogen for this ride...it's okay to push the envelope...or not". Not sure what's going on biodynamically, but it's palpable.

So yesterday I decided to capitalize on the initial positive feedback I was getting from my legs and heart rate by riding the course in my big ring, hills and all. I've been riding this course for a decade, and I've never managed that. So for me, it's a performance milestone.

And the odd thing is, my heart rate stayed anywhere from 75-80% of max, even when working my hardest. In fact, I have a triple crank with a 27 granny gear and I routinely use it to bail out on at least 2 or 3 sections. I can spin up any hill with that 27, it's never a matter of bonking, but I've always wanted to improve my climbing and not have to resort to it. And after yesterday, I'm starting to see that as a real possibility. Didn't even get onto my middle ring, let alone use the granny.

I'm not sure whether to credit a more efficient, fat-burning metabolism as a result of Whole30, or changing what I eat pre and post ride, or being 10 lbs. lighter than I was a month ago, or having more stable blood sugar—maybe all of the above—but something has definitely shifted my power to weight ratio in the right direction.

So with the organized ride season approaching in a few months, I'm really optimistic this year. Most years I dread the first century ride because I'm seldom in good enough shape and always end up pushing beyond my limits and thus walking like a zombie for days afterwards.

I'm curious if any of you have experienced something similar as a result of changing the way you eat. I know there are some elite cyclists on this forum, and I'm not even remotely in that class, but if this keeps up, who knows? Feedback, observations and any free coaching welcome. :)

" being 10 lbs lighter"

^^^This^^^

While your diet may account for some of the improvement, the single most important factor in cycling is ones weight (as you note with your power to weight ratio comment)

Either way, good job and keep up the good work!

I cant wait to get outside on my regular loop. Currently stuck inside on the trainer most days (i'm in NY)

Congrats! I too am a cyclist. I have not had such great gains. In fact, I find that it seems to depend on my nutrition, mostly carb consumption, during the week how well I will do on the weekends. Some rides I feel great and others, not so great.

I am on day 43 but still experimenting with workout nutrition. :)

Keep up the good work!

Congrats! I too am a cyclist. I have not had such great gains. In fact, I find that it seems to depend on my nutrition, mostly carb consumption, during the week how well I will do on the weekends. Some rides I feel great and others, not so great.

I am on day 43 but still experimenting with workout nutrition. :)

Keep up the good work!

Nice avatar!

Yes, I'm curious how this going to work on longer rides, say 3+ hours. I'm going out for 2+ hours this weekend and am going with water and a Lara bar (as I understand they are compliant). Please report back on your nutrition experiments. And remember, rubber side down, always!

So far, I have not had any issues with 2+ hours. I make sure that I eat a good breakfast that includes carbs 1-2 hours prior. If I know it's going to be particularly strenous, I will put coconut water in one of my bottles and water in the other. I also carry dates & coconut flakes with me. (I love Larabars but have not had them since I started my W30) So far, I have not needed to eat during the rides. I think the most important thing is your post ride meal. I make sure that I eat immediately when done. I have a lean protein (chicken or turkey) and some sweet potato. I have it in the car and ready to eat as I am driving home.

I race so alot of my rides also have hard efforts. The sprinting is where I struggle sometimes if my nutrition is not right. I make sure that all week I have plenty of carbs in the form of sweet potatoes, squash etc...

Good luck with your ride and keep me posted about what works for you.

Nice!!! Love yours too!

Larabars are compliant, on occasion, I just didn't eat them because I used them more for dessert/snacks in the past. So it was a mental thing for me. I'm sure I will add them back in at some point. Some of them do have added sugar so be sure to check that. My favorite coconut water/juice is Amy & Brian brand.

Thanks again. I just figure the Lara Bar fits nicely in a jersely pocket and will be a good substitue to my Honey Stinger Waffles - which I know I'm going to miss :(

To the OP - sorry for the hijack. I hope you gleaned some good info. I appreciate you starting the thread. Now get back out there and crush those hills ;)

@stillrollin. No worries. All good stuff. I hadn't thought of coconut water. Brilliant.

And I especially enjoy discussions about LaraBars—they seem to be such a point of contention all over the Forums, and they're such innocent little snacks compared to what I would routinely eat as part of my pre-Whole30 sugar fixation. Being able to have occasional LaraBar now seems like a major victory. At one point it would have been 6 or 7 LaraBars at a sitting, or more likely a less healthy alternative. Especially after a ride of 40+ miles or so. I would get insanely hungry about an hour afterward, probably due to the sugar fluctuations and mismanaged fueling/glycogen, so I'd give myself permission to eat as much of anything as I wanted over the next few days. And then wonder why I never lost weight even when putting in 150-200 miles/week.

Archived