Breakfast suggestions before 5K race (run)

moggle

Hi all

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a pre-race breakfast.

I'm running a 5K fun-run/race on the weekend. The race starts at 8am. I normally eat breakfast as soon as I get up (7-7.30am) but I don't think my normal breakfast of 3 fried eggs plus veg is going to to be a good idea pre-race (I ate some ham & nuts not long before a 3K run last week and felt sick during the run). I also don't think I'll do so well with NO food.

So I'm looking for some suggestions for a quick, light brekky I can eat about an hour before the run (I'm trying to avoid having to get up too early).

I want to avoid any orange veg because I'm still a bit orange from carotenosis. I do seem to be able to tolerate a small amount of non-gluten grain, so that may be an option.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

If you are doing a Whole30, no grain is an option. And because this is a Whole30 forum, we ask that discussions focus on Whole30 resources. Personally, I would eat a boiled egg before running a 5K, two if I was eating more than 90 minutes before the race.

I would not eat anything new on the day of a 5K. If you're going to do one last training run tomorrow, maybe try a new breakfast before.

Maybe you could just cut down your normal breakfast to one fried egg and a small serving of veggies?

I know it's not the best option (especially during a Whole30) but I have had a piece of Larabar before a race before (just checking all the ingredients of course). (But, you really should get in some type of protein if you can.)

Have you done any of your training runs fasted? Or, have you eaten anything before and not felt sick like with the ham?

...because this is a Whole30 forum, we ask that discussions focus on Whole30 resources. Personally, I would eat a boiled egg before running a 5K...

Whoops! Sorry, should have paid attention before blundering in and posting :) The boiled egg idea is an excellent one (or even EGGcellent ;) )

Have you done any of your training runs fasted? Or, have you eaten anything before and not felt sick like with the ham?

All other training (bar the ham day) has been done either mid-morning or mid afternoon, well after I've eaten a meal.

A banana should be plenty. Smear it w/ almond butter if you want a few more calories.

I like this idea too!

Thanks all for your help :-) I think I'll go with the cold boiled egg and try a bit of banana and/or nuts. I should be able to eat those with minimal prep as soon as I get up.

Word(s) of caution: Nothing new on race day!

Banana's in particular can upset your stomach, especially during strenuous excercise. FWIW, I'm not wild about your idea of egg, banana/nuts. If it doesn't work you won't know which of the three was the culprit.

Whatever your contemplating try it before the race. It's only thursday I imagine you have another run before the race. Ideally you'll practice this stuff well in advance of your next race. Have fun with it. It's one of things I enjoy about training. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone again for your help.

My 'training' got a bit messed up because of a. work and b. feeling poorly (low blood pressure I think) on Friday; so I didn't get the chance to try anything new.

In the end I ate 2 boiled eggs, a small banana, handful of cashews and half a cooked beetroot when I first got up, a bit over an hour before the run. I also made some home-made 'electroylytes' from salt, bicarb & lemon juice.

I was able to keep up a constant jog for the whole 5K. I had a sip of water at the 2K water station. Soon after that was the only time I felt a teeny bit queasy.

I finished 396th out of 939 runners in a time of 33min 21sec. Not world record breaking times but I only really started running at the beginning of January so I am pleased with the time and the placing.

I'm now considering attempting a 11K in May, but I will need to get my act together and do more proper training for that!

Archived